Is a floyd allowed to be tilted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a floyd allowed to be tilted?

Hi I've got a floyd rose working pretty well at the moment, and I want to check a couple of things to ensure it'll keep working for a long time.

1: It is a recessed floyd and I have it slightly tiled forward, as in slightly above dead flat. Is this okay?

2: The treble side is lower than the bass side meaning that the floyd sorta angles down that way. I have a nagging feeling that this is wrong. Is it?

thanks

john

Re: Is a floyd allowed to be tilted?

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi I've got a floyd rose working pretty well at the moment, and I want to check a couple of things to ensure it'll keep working for a long time.

1: It is a recessed floyd and I have it slightly tiled forward, as in slightly above dead flat. Is this okay?

2: The treble side is lower than the bass side meaning that the floyd sorta angles down that way. I have a nagging feeling that this is wrong. Is it?

thanks

john

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU MUST FIX THIS OR THE UNIVERSE WILL IMPLODED [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

1. Tilt - no biggy. If you have too much one way or the other, you won't have the full whammy range and it will throw your action off.

2. Tilt - just means your smaller strings are closer to the fretboard than the bigger ones. This is fine as well as long as it is not excessive. Big strings need more space or they will buzz. small strings need to have low action so you can shred.

It sounds like you are a newbie with axes. I can't recommend highly enough getting some of Dan Erlewine's books on guitar setups and repairs. It will explain all the details of setting up you axe for maximum performance.

Comment

Whether your trem in recessed or flush mounted, it should sit level. To correct the "tilt", loosen your strings and adjust the (2) trem claw screws on the backside. This will create more tension and pull the trem back into place.
      To adjust the height from side to side, use the (2) pivot screws located on in front of the bridge plate.

Good luck [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

thanks for the help guys. I adjusted the spring claw to get the trem more flush with the body, still with just about half a tone of pullup.

Perhaps my incoherent writing gave the impression but I am not a newbie with guitars [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I'm no Dan Erl but I've set a load of them up and I'm clued up on most aspects of it. The last floyd in this guitar was in a sorry state and so I guess I'm just paranoid about sending this one the same way [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

thanks for the pointers lads

john

Comment

I actually prefer to have the bridge tilt out a bit, because I rather want it level with the strings and not the body (both my Floyded guitars have non-recessed trems).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I actually prefer to have the bridge tilt out a bit, because I rather want it level with the strings and not the body (both my Floyded guitars have non-recessed trems).

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

there are actually 2 schools on this: Some say level, while some prefer a slight forward tilt. Given that it's not a real BIG tilt, I think it's probably just fine. Many other shave done the same, and the world is still in one piece.............sort of. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Sunbane has the right idea... you want your Floyd to follow the neck angle, not the body.
                So on a non-recessed trem, it should tilt forward a few degrees to follow the plane of the neck.
                -Rick

Comment

Just mess with it so it is intonated. The Floyd to neck plane is the ticket. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] A Floyd is such a bitchin' trem, it can do what it wants.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Whether your trem in recessed or flush mounted, it should sit level. To correct the "tilt", loosen your strings and adjust the (2) trem claw screws on the backside. This will create more tension and pull the trem back into place.
                      To adjust the height from side to side, use the (2) pivot screws located on in front of the bridge plate.

Good luck [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree... the proper angle for the Floyd is always the same angle as the NECK has... the floyds saddles are set to match the Fretboard radius at the factory, but as soon as they´re not on the same plane the pure fact that the intonation is adjustable throws that totally out of whack because moving saddles forward and backward now indirectly fucks with the action as well..

"Flat on the body" is great for EVH style guitars with non angled necks and blocked trems, and for standard guitars with a recessed FLoyd "level" is also generally correct...

but as soon as you tilt the neck the whole ballgame starts over [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

*Edit* I see others were faster.. Oh well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] A Floyd is such a bitchin' trem, it can do what it wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Good info (I'm in with the "level with the strings" camp, originally coming from non-recessed Kramerland). But IMO the bigger issue is playability. I mean, if you want a major third of up-pull, you'll often need a forward tilt, depending on action. If this is the case, I say go ahead and rock on, steve vai...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I disagree... the proper angle for the Floyd is always the same angle as the NECK has... the floyds saddles are set to match the Fretboard radius at the factory, but as soon as they´re not on the same plane the pure fact that the intonation is adjustable throws that totally out of whack because moving saddles forward and backward now indirectly fucks with the action as well..

"Flat on the body" is great for EVH style guitars with non angled necks and blocked trems, and for standard guitars with a recessed FLoyd "level" is also generally correct...

but as soon as you tilt the neck the whole ballgame starts over

*Edit* I see others were faster.. Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of your statements WOULD be true assuming the Floyd was factory installed. Unless I missed something, the author of this thread never indicated either way.

In any event, an offset, tilted Floyd is NOT the way these trems were intended to be set up. But if that's your preference, then who am I to say it's "wrong".

[img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              All of your statements WOULD be true assuming the Floyd was factory installed. Unless I missed something, the author of this thread never indicated either way.

In any event, an offset, tilted Floyd is NOT the way these trems were intended to be set up. But if that's your preference, then who am I to say it's "wrong".

[img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Why would it matter if it was factory installed or not? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Neck angle is neck angle after all - it's not something you easilly change (especially not on a neck-through guitar) - but you can alter the angle of the Floyd easilly and without any ill effects (unless you go to extremes). If you have a Floyd level with the body on a guitar with a non-recessed (top mounted) trem, it means that it is actually tilting back in relation to the strings.

I agree with you though, that it's mostly a preference thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X