Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JE1000 Wiring thought

Maybe this is possible, I don't know but I thought I'd ask:

I have a JE1000 board that has a volume knob. The board does allow me to hook up a tone pot. I'm guessing once I set my gain/toggle switches, this board will as I raise the volume will work like a volme knob. I was hoping that I might be able to use this like I do with my 475deluxe midboost inwhich as I turn the JE1000 knob I'm not adjusting volume but adjusting the amount of low impedance. Can I where I would hook up the TONE pot use that to adjust my volume and use the on-board pot to adjust the amount of impedance?

thanks,

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Re: JE1000 Wiring thought

Hello? Any help here... [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
    www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

well, I think you could simply replace the little blue trimpot with a couple of wire's going to a usual pot, so you can adjust the gain on your controls (if that's what you mean).
      but I'd not try to change the function of the onboard volume pot. why don't you just leave this as a volume and wire the gain pot? you'd just have to measure it's resistance and find another one that is able to hold a knob on a pickguard or whatever...
      you could change their positions and would probably get what you want.

I'm not sure if I got you right though... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Ok, I'm made some notes on the diagram to illustrate what I'm looking for. Think on placing the Je1000 volume pole in the tone position making it operate as a tone pot. When the tone pot get's hooked up to on the je1000, add that to the volume position. Really, the only difference between a volume and tone pots are the resistors and the K of the pot, right?

joe...

www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

well, mainly the difference between volume and tone pot is it's position in the wiring diagram. they both are 50 kOhms here.
          the resistor you're talking about, soldered to the tone pot is actually a capacitor.

but I still have no clue what exactly you are about. sorry... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          so the plan is to get the volume pot offboard and wire it to where the tone pot is set, and get the tone-pot onboard to the place where the volume is right now. right?
          or do you want a second pot onboard?

maybe I can be of help for you, but I will need some further help to get a picture of what you want.

Comment

I don't get it. If you want to switch places between volume and tone, why don't you just flip the entire circuit inside the guitar and be done with it? No need to solder on the board...

I highly doubt that your idea would work. It's not just the capacitor that turns a "volume pot" into a "tone pot". It has also has to be wired into the circuit in the correct way. This board was designed in a ceratin way, and if you'd want to change it's function to that degree, you would probably also have to mod the PCB board itself.

If you want a on-guitar control to vary the amount of gain from the board, I would suggest Micha's idea of removing the trim pot and solder in wires in its place that go to an external pot on your guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I don't get it. If you want to switch places between volume and tone, why don't you just flip the entire circuit inside the guitar and be done with it? No need to solder on the board...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really glad you don't get it either and I'm not the only one... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry for all of the confusion...

Yes capacitor and not resistor, my bad...

I guess I was attempting to get this board to work like my JE2000 mid-boost that's on my 475Deluxe. My thought was to turn the optional tone pot into a volume pot and the on-board volume pot into a tone pot by adding a capacitor to the on-board pot, maybe thats just not possible with this board?

Let's go down this thought then:

Without a capacitor on the optional tone pot, it will work like a volume pot, right? Is there a capacitor I can add to the on-board pot so that when I turn it from open (100%) signal to closed (50%) signal? This way I'm using the on-board volume pot as only something to adjust the amount of signal coming from the board?

joe....
                www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

aahhh... you want the onboard pot to be something like your effect-mix-pot on your amp? so you can bypass the circuit and set this pot from dry to wet (100% circuit-power!!)?
                  I think the best way to get (something like) this would be to leave the volume pot as it is, and wire the other pot you want to have to the contacts of this little blue box.
                  it is a pot itself (dunno about the resistance though) and it adjusts the amount of signal boost. from zero (no boost) to full gain boost.

I think you are refering to the JE1200 midboost (the JE2000 is for basses) which has a knob to control the amount of mid boost. I think the aquivalent to this on the JE1000 would be the little blue box. but I have no idea what effect the dip switches will have on your sound with the blue box turned off all the way... (never tried this to be honest since I got this circuit to boost GAAAIIIN!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

but I'd highly suggest to leave the volume as a volume. if you want a volume knob anyway, why don't you take the one you got already?
                  if you just remove the capacitor on the tone pot, there will be one wire going in, and no wire going out of it. this would most likely sound like no tone pot at all, no matter how you set it.

I'm still not sure wether we are talking about the same, saying "tone pot". for me it's something that get's your sound from crisp to muddy and everywhere in between.
                  what you like is a knob to set the amount of amplification deliverd by the circuit?

it would be nonesense to turn the volume into tone and vice versa, you know? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Ahh, now I think I get it too! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So, if Micha is correct - rather than adding a pot to your guitar to vary the amount of gain you get from the circuit, you would want a pot that regulates how much the circuit blends into the sound, from around 50% to 100%?

It sounds like it would be doable, but at this moment I'm not quite sure how. Micha is correct though, that just removing the cap from the tone pot wouldn't turn it into a volume pot. It would just become a pot that does nothing. I also agree that it would be best to either leave the onboard volume pot as it is - or else to completely remove it and put a jumper in its place that would enable full output from the board at all times, and rather mount the "blending" pot, the master volume and the tone externally.

Now - a question: How does the opional gain switch operate? Does it just turn off the gain, or does it bypass the board (including the built-in EQ) completely? If it is a true bypass control, that's where you'd want to put a pot instead of a switch to achieve the effect you're looking for.

Otherwise I think that you may be able to do what you want with some kind of external balance pot (the stacked variety), that on one side would be wired to the board output and on the other side wired to the pickup selector output. That may give you sort of a "blend control" between the "high impedance sound" and the "low impadance sound" as you put it. I'm not at all sure what pot values would be suitable for this though, especially considering that you want 50% of the JE-1000 sound at full roll-off. I'm guessing that the Ohm values of the "blend pot" would be crucial. Then you'd also need to add an external master volume and tone (in the normal manner), but again, I'm not sure what Ohm values would be suitable. It could be rather tricky, since you'd be dealing with both high impedance output and low impedance output at the same time.

It's a very interesting idea though. I'd guess a person with a deep enough electronic know-how would be able to tell you more.

Comment

The optional gain switch does allow me to turn the gain on/off. Mine does not have one but maybe if I hook one up I can at least turn the gain on/off. Althought, the dry/wet mix is the idea I was attempting to communicate (althought I didn't do that well at all :lol )

thanks guy.

joe...
                      www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

I'd just try out some different settings for the gain pot. if this comes close enough to your idea, I'd get this one off board.

I'm not sure wether it is possible to blend over from passive to active sound analog to be honest.
                        sounds like a bigger project IMO...
                        and I don't think this is what the JE1200 does. I think its knob just controls the amount of boost too.

I don't know if I was any help here, but I'm glad I finally got your idea. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I just remember reading about how Hendrix used to screw around with his electronics to create tones from his guitar that were never done before. I guess I was getting a little nostalgic [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

thanks again!

joe...
                          www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Working...
                          X