Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel

whats the diff between a charvel and jackson? is it like esp and ltd? what are good older models to get?

Re: Charvel

short history

Charvel was first

Randy Rhoads wanted a wild looking guitar, they called it a Jackson

Charvel/Jackson was bought out.

Charvels became the MIJ versions of Jacksons (1986)

In the early 90's Jacksons started being made in Japan... Charvels started to be pushed down the quality scale, Charvette (MIK) was introduced

Charvel/Charvette went byebye You could now get a low end beginner Jackson (Bad idea IMHO)

Mid 90's short run of "San Dimas" Charvel's

Currently there is a Line of MIJ Charvels, and now the Made in USA 25th annie version

Good used ones to get IMHO..

Any USA ($$$$), 86-91 MIJ, the mid 90's USA San Dimas Charvels

[ August 15, 2003, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: Hotrodder ]

Comment

so with out rhoads there would be no jackson?

Comment

nevermind its true...jackson became the name becuase charvel was affraid that rhoads radical design might hurt the company so they called it jackson after Grover Jackson .... hmmm intersting stuff...sorry if i didnt allrady know...so really a jackson is a charvel with a diff name and doesnt carry the look of a tradition charvel [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, unlike the past, the lines are a bit more blurred today. At one point both lines had bolt-on and neck-thru models. Today all Charvels are bolt-ons.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

so today....jackson is the better guitar? i mean a neck thru has to beat a bolt on right?

Comment

watch out!!!!!Here come the worms!!!!!!

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave->
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

so today....jackson is the better guitar? i mean a neck thru has to beat a bolt on right?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jinx:
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As long as the build quality is equal, there is no such thing as a universal better guitar. It's just a personal preference.

My favorite guitars in order would be

1. MIJ Charvel Models 1,2,3, and 4.
                  2. a big hollowbody Gretsch.
                  3. USA Charvel pointy head.
                  4. Fender Stratocaster
                  5. Gibson LesPaul Jr with a P-90
                  6. Jackson Soloist, or Rhoads.

The next person who posts may think my choices are stupid and rather have A Kelly, A Dean, A Hamer, Then a Les Paul Custom.

I'm assuming your a newish guitar player. The best advice is to just go play as many types of guitars as you can and pick your favorite.

Comment

let me be the first to crawl and worm up from the dirt, i love bolt-ons better, i can abuse them with less guilt. i cringe when i drop,knock over,
                    ding,etc. a set neck or neckthrough. they are more comfortable for me as well, there is nothing like a true strat body for pure cozy ripping.
                    my preferences-
                    san dimas charvel strat, or parts mutt
                    '59 les paul standard,real or reissue, or any great playing standard in general.
                    charvel or jackson starbody
                    strat headstocks a must unless slinging a paul.
                    reverse pointies acceptable. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
                    tommy
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

...gold metalflake paint a must...
                      [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

i always liked you chuckles, yes gold metal flake
                        a must. it has magic in it. really.
                        -elvis lover
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by jinx:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's an interesting statement, and one I personally would agree with, but...

A lot of people like bolt-ons. I guess I don't understand why people prefer bolt-ons to neck throughs. When I am dropping some serious change on a guitar, I expect a neck through, or at least a set neck (Gibson, etc.) to be on it. I do own one bolt on, a DKMGT, that is a kick a** guitar for the money, and will opt to play that some evenings instead of my RR5 or RR1. Kinda depends on the songs and my mood.

Having said that, I just did something I thought I would never do - bought a bolt-on guitar that had a comma in the price. It's the Chlorine PC1 that Matt at OSG had advertised on his site. Something about the guitar just said "buy me", and I got the OK from my wife to do it, so I thought I'd give it a shot. A lot of people seem to like the PC1, so, despite the bolt-on neck, I bought it. It arrives Monday, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

So, are neck-through guitars better than bolt-ons? Absolutely. Sometimes. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- E.

[ August 15, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: AlexL ]
                          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I prefer the neck thru myself. Better sustain IMHO. As for worrying about a broken neck it's not going to happen to me. I take care of my belongings far too well. I mean, would you carry your baby boy around if you had one dropping him and banging his head against the wall?

If you want to trash your axe buy a Fender. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Gad

Comment

i have both (basses though) and i go through spells of playing each.they are different but both play great
                              The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Working...
                              X