buzz near nut, high action near bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buzz near nut, high action near bridge

ok i need some advice. not sure what to do. I got a DXMGT, great axe, but theres some buzzing on the first 1 or 2 frets, no buzzing when open, so i dont think the nut is low. and also the action is a bit high up on the high side, but perfectly fine down low. should i tighten or loosen the truss rod? lower the bridge too?

Re: buzz near nut, high action near bridge

What's the neck look like. Got nay curve, or straight as an arrow? You might need a little relief in it.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Lower the bridge to get your desired action, then loosen the truss rod a tiny bit.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

How's the neck curve? I usually fret at the first and last frets, and try to get about a credit card thickness of gap at the center of the neck.
        When doing setups, I usually start with the neck curve/trussrod, then do the bridge/saddles height, then lastly do the intonation.
        If you're going to tighten the truss rod, always loosen it a bit before tightening it. I've heard a few stories of truss rods sticking and breaking, I think there would be less chance of breaking if you're loosening it a bit first just to make sure the threads are free.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          How's the neck curve? I usually fret at the first and last frets, and try to get about a credit card thickness of gap at the center of the neck.
          When doing setups, I usually start with the neck curve/trussrod, then do the bridge/saddles height, then lastly do the intonation.
          If you're going to tighten the truss rod, always loosen it a bit before tightening it. I've heard a few stories of truss rods sticking and breaking, I think there would be less chance of breaking if you're loosening it a bit first just to make sure the threads are free.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

The truss rod adjustment should be the FIRST one you make, since it affects every other adjustment your going to make. First the truss rod, then the bridge height(action), then the nut height(if necesary), then lastly intonation.

Comment

+2
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

ok i loosened the truss rod a little and it gave me just the right amount of relief. no more buzz. then i lowered the bridge a little and got the high action down.

thanks dudes!

Comment

I've been having some trouble setting up an '84 Hamer protoII (setneck), and just yesterday I stopped by a well regarded shop in Tacoma, the guy spent about 20 minutes talking about ideal neck curve, and telling me his setup secrets!
                One thing I learned (that I should've figured out on my own) is that the truss rod doesn't really affect anything higher than the 14th fret, so fret at the 1st and 14th (of so) when setting the truss rod. Also, a razor blade is perfect for spanning 3 frets when looking for a high fret up higher on the neck (it will rock back and forth if the center one is high). He told me quite a bit about nut height, which I didn't know much about other than 'feel'. So I spent some more time w/ the Hamer and it's vastly improved, I'm gonna lower the nut slots slightly while using a feeler guage (.014" or so at the low E, and .010" or so at the high E), and it's gonna be great.
                Just in case any of you need a good neck tech in Tacoma, the guy a Highland hills music near the Narrows bridge seems really good, -and you'd never take a look at that place and expect a good neck/fret guy to work there.
                For me, setups are fun, it's like therapy! PallarAndersVisa; isn't it enjoyable to figure that stuff out?, and save some $$ too?

Comment

As long as you've got that feeler gauge out, Fender specs for a truss rod are 0.010" at the 8th fret when you fret your geetar at the onethst fret and the fret where el neck-o meets el body-o.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Also, a razor blade is perfect for spanning 3 frets when looking for a high fret up higher on the neck (it will rock back and forth if the center one is high).

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. razor blades are a commonly used tool over here.
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I have a very similar problem with my DK2, and i would like to loosen the truss rod a bit to add some relief at the top of the neck. However i got the guitar second hand and it did not include the adjustment wrench. Where can i purchase one of these, would sam ash have one? I prefer online shopping so any sites would be great. Thanks!

Comment

stew mac has em, im pretty sure any online music site would have some. or just go to your hardware store

Comment

Any local music store should have a whole box of allen wrenches. I should say any store that sell locking sys guitars.

We have a store here in evansville that sell to "purists". Only Fender strats and non locking stuff. Very "hoidy-toidy". I went in there looking for a lock nut screw. I figured "hey, they'd prolly throw one at me and say later dude". The dude stuck his nose up in the air and said, "We had a whole box of that stuff when we handled those guitars but now that we don't, we don't." [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway, It don't hurt to check.

Comment

Working...
                          X