Can't intonate my A string!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't intonate my A string!!!

So I've had this problem with one of my guitars for some time, but now I seem to have it on another one. Both guitars are '86 Jackson custom strats, both have Kahlers.

Both intonate perfectly EXCEPT the damn A string. It's horribly flat. I have the damn kahler saddle out as far as it will go (sticking WAY out beyond the rest of the saddles, which doesn't seem right) yet it's still flat. I have a third guitar with a Kahler and it seems to be fine. All use the same strings (Dean Markley Blue Steel 10's.) The two with the problem have single coil pickups... could the magnets in the pickups be causing this effect? Maybe I'll try lowering the pickups even though they really aren't that close to the strings right now. Any other ideas what could be wrong?

Re: Can\'t intonate my A string!!!

Lowering the pickups made no difference. Shit!!

Comment

could be a bad string. I had a d like that one time and it would resonate at the 12th with this awful dual note thing, and of course intonate shitly too. Try a new set it's probably the cheapest option.

john

Comment

Thx John. That's what I'm starting to think... maybe these were bad batches or something, which would explain why suddenly I have 2 guitars with the same problem. It sounds OK though, other than the intonation issue...

Comment

If the string is more dense or more tightly wound it'll be heavier in certain places. That could make it hard to intonate without actually making it sounds weird I think. I'm struggling to see what else the problem could be [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

John -- you were right on. Just swapped the string out with one of another brand, and now it's fine. After 10+ years of using Blue Steel's I may now consider switching brands.... that's just too weird.

Thanks!

Comment

if you're thinking of switching may I suggest EBs. I've never had a bad one in 28 years.

bob

Comment

Does it sound ok and just trick your tuner to think it's flat, like with an odd harmonic? I wonder what would happen you set the intonation with the new strings and then put the blue steels back on, would it play ok? I tried intonating a guitar with old strings once, that was a big mistake. What kind of tuner are you using?

Comment

Working...
                X