Kahler-style nut options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler-style nut options?

Just received an '87 Model 4 from evilbay. It has the JT-6 trem but the Kahler-style nut (lock behind the nut).

If I set the action fine on both E strings, the ADGB string are all resting on the 1st fret!

What options to I have here? Is it possible to shim the nut up and cut the E slots a bit, or do I just need to get a new nut?

Thanks for any tips you can provide!

Re: Kahler-style nut options?

shim and recut, or just cut a new one / have a new one cut.

Comment

I thought about just taking it to the shop to get a new nut installed, but I'd like to try to fix this myself to get some experience.

I did have another idea. Has anyone had any luck filling the slots that are too low with powdered graphite and a drop of super glue, and then re-filing it? I've heard of folks doing this with baking soda and super glue, but not powdered graphite. My thought is that the graphite would be better w/ the Floyd.

Comment

Now would be the time to have a floyd nut installed. Any qualified tech can do that. It will offer much better stability thatn that behind the nut style lock-nut.

Comment

3310 in progress

Comment

<font color="yellow">I'm going to pile on to what Surfdork said....bring it to your local luthier/tech and have a Floyd-style nut installed.

For me, that's the best of both worlds...the Kahler trem and the Floyd nut is PERFECT!!

Otherwise, you'll have to shim the existing Kahler nut. </font>

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Now would be the time to have a floyd nut installed. Any qualified tech can do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it hard to put on a floyd nut, after a Kahler nut??? How would you fill the Kahler nut holes? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              I love admins!

Comment

Care to enlighten me on what a 3310 is? [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                3310 in progress

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

OK, so I did a really high tech temporary fix just to prove that I really just need to raise the A & D strings a bit. I stuck some small pieces of paper under the strings in these two slots and voila! No more buzzing at the 1st fret. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think I will try the super glue trick first, and if that doesn't work I will consider the Floyd nut solution. One thing I like about the Kahler nut over the Floyd is that it doesn't dig into my index finger when fretting the thinner strings near the nut. But I would expect to have more tuning stability issues w/ the Kahler nut since the slots may bind if not cut just right.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll keep you posted on my final fix.

Comment

I've used 2-part epoxy to "build-up" nut slots with success before. I used some masking tape on either side of the slot to prevent the goop from sliding out, then file it down to the height I want. Some graphite powder in there prevents the strings from grinding it down.

[ QUOTE ]
                    One thing I like about the Kahler nut over the Floyd is that it doesn't dig into my index finger when fretting the thinner strings near the nut.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I like the behind-the-nut string lock as well!
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Well, so far so good on the super glue fix! I partially filled in the slots for the ADG strings, let the glue set for several hours, and then filed them back down using the strings. The buzzing is gone for now. We'll see how long it lasts, but not bad for a quick fix. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks again for the tips! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X