Rookie Question: Tuning down 1/2 step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Question: Tuning down 1/2 step

Could someone explain how to tune down 1/2 a step? I'm absolutely horrible at tuning by ear, but I have an electronic tuner.

Is it as simply as putting a capo (or fretting all the stings on the first fret) and then basically "tuning to normal"? Considering the guitar is a fixed bridge of course.

Am I missing anything? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Rookie Question: Tuning down 1/2 step

If your tuner is chromatic just tune until it reads a half step lower for each note of standard tuning.

Comment

I don't think it's a "chromatic tuner. Here is the link to it on a website.

Qwik Tune

Maybe I need to buy a chromatic tuner?

Comment

It looks like that is just a standard tuning tuner. You could try the capo method you mentioned. I've never done that, but I'd guess it would be a major pain and probably not very accurate either. I'd say getting a new chromatic tuner is your best bet.

Comment

Cool. Thank for your help! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Rookie Question: Tuning down 1/2 step

Maybe use a song for a reference. I think Ozzy-Diary Of A Madman was .5 step down. I know for a fact the song TONIGHT is. I play it all the time. Eruption is(we all know that)

In all honesty, I hear these songs in my head and when I plug in to my friends system that has a tuner, I am on the $(I also have perfect pitch...always helps) but try that method.

There is a LOT of variation in tuning though. Good luck.

Comment

Slayer - South of Heaven is the song I'm thinking of. Down 1/2 step, but when I try the way described above it's too low.

Comment

Eb Ab Dd Gb Bb Eb is 1/2 step down from standard. All Slayer albums from Hell Awaits to Seasons In The Abyss are tuned this way. Tune your top string to the open Eb in the song and then all your other strings acorrdingly at he 5th fret (4th for the Bb) and you'll be set.
                THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

When you say 4th fret for the Bb do you mean I fret on the 4th fret of the B sting to tune the high E sting? Or am I fretting on the 4th fret of the G string to tune the Bb sting?

Comment

I think you're gonna have to get a tuner that has a re-calibration option. You'll probably like having a better tuner anyway.

Comment

Tune your guitar to pitch(E standard) using your tuner. Then play the low E at the fourth fret and tune the A string down until it's the same pitch. That will make your A string Ab. Then use that as a reference for the rest of your strings. Then when you think your done, put a capo on the first fret and check to see how close you are.

Comment

Is a Korg Chromatic Tuner a good one to get? Is the CA-30 or the CA-40 best?

Any recommendations for a chromatic tuner?

Comment

The BOSS TU-2 is a great tuner. It's easy to read, chromatic, and can be used when playing as an on/off switch. You can use it onstage much more easily than a hand held tuner. They are a little bit on the expensive side compared to some others, but it will give you years of dependable performance.

Comment

+1 for the TU-2. Does chromatic tuning, plus regular tuning, drop d, etc. etc. Very easy to use and to read, whether on stage or at home.

Comment

I've used Sabine 1100's for years (20 years?), I use it for setting intonations too. -The tu-2 is cool though, if I wasn't so set in my ways I'd have kept mine.
                              If money is not an object, get one of those Peterson strobostomps.

Comment

Working...
                              X