Questions about the new Charvels at NAMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the new Charvels at NAMM

I'm getting ready to order a strathead (gasp!), but I had a few questions for anyone who went to NAMM.
    (Forgive me if this has been covered already.)

Did the stratheads have a Fender licensing sticker on it?

What are the neck profiles like? Were they all pretty much the same, or did they vary depending on the guitar?
    The website calls the standard profile "San Dimas Charvel". Since I have never played one of the originals,
    I have nothing to compare it too. Anyone have an opinion on what I can expect it to be like?
    I can tolerate just about anything but the super thin necks.

Questions about the new Charvels at NAMM

My luthier and his business partner we're at NAMM. They said the back profile was EXACTLY like the old san dimas necks. NOT like the EVH feel(Which I do not care for).

They're getting a DeMartini bomber quite soon. That'll make or break my decision to buy one after I try it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Comment

Re: Questions about the new Charvels at NAMM

All this talk about them being like the originals is a joke. I have now played 5 originals and they were all different. Not until the pointys was there really a standard neck profile.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Did the stratheads have a Fender licensing sticker on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they all do, although I can't recall whether it is an actual sticker, or printed on the back of the HS itself.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Cool, thanks Ron. I'm glad I asked before I submitted the order. I'd be ill if it came printed on there.
          I hope it is just a sticker.

Comment

It wsa just a sticker on the EVH's and I believe the 25ths also.
            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

It was definitely a sticker on the back of the Stratheads. You know, so someone wouldn't mistake it for a Fender.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                My luthier and his business partner we're at NAMM. They said the back profile was EXACTLY like the old san dimas necks. NOT like the EVH feel(Which I do not care for).

They're getting a DeMartini bomber quite soon. That'll make or break my decision to buy one after I try it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

[/ QUOTE ]

The specs posted for the DeMartinis say that they have a 12-16 compound radius fretboard, which is what pointies had. Didn't the original stratheads have a standard 12" radius? I definitely will need this clarified before I order a custom. Hopefully, we can just specify radius, thickness, backshape, etc., but I'm curious to know what the specs of standard strathead necks are supposed to be and what they were taken from.

Comment

FYI - The new pointys have the profile that they do because of the neck that was supplied to the custom shop for the 02 GX B/W BUllseye reissue. It is on the thin side. The original pointys were more consistent than the s-heads, but and it seems that the pointys still have at least two and maybe three profiles that were fairly common.

The old strat heads seem to have more like five general variations. And yes, similar neck variations still differ from guitar to guitar kinda sorta, but not as much as people would have you believe.

Just my experience. I presently own two old s-heads and because of where I live, I have been able to play like 20 or so owned by the locals [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
                  "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can spec the neck anyway you want it because it's built in the custom shop, but I'll check tomorrow.
                    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      FYI - The new pointys have the profile that they do because of the neck that was supplied to the custom shop for the 02 GX B/W BUllseye reissue. It is on the thin side. The original pointys were more consistent than the s-heads, but and it seems that the pointys still have at least two and maybe three profiles that were fairly common.

The old strat heads seem to have more like five general variations. And yes, similar neck variations still differ from guitar to guitar kinda sorta, but not as much as people would have you believe.

Just my experience. I presently own two old s-heads and because of where I live, I have been able to play like 20 or so owned by the locals [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

There were several necks used to get the backshapes for the new pointy and Fender headstock necks we currently produce. None of those necks had anything to do with the 02 GX B/W Bullseye reissue neck or the neck supplied for that model. Tim Wilson, Mike Shannon, and I took necks from our old Charvel guitars and we had a couple from other FMIC employees who had old Charvel necks. We got together, compared them, made some necks, asked Mike Eldred to help, and we came up with profiles that were most the commonly accepted "feel" for each version. We recognize that every neck was slightly different, but from our feedback with consumers, I think we got it right in both cases. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I'm pretty sure you can spec the neck anyway you want it because it's built in the custom shop, but I'll check tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Standard" specs for the Custom Shop neck with a Fender headstock is:

1 11/16" nut, 2 1/4" butt, 12" - 16" compound radius fingerboard, and neck thickness is .740" at the 3rd fret to .830" at the 12th fret (+/- .020", since we do all the final sanding by hand, just like the old days!).

You can specify 12" radius all the way up, or whatever you want....it's the Custom Shop! However, knowing the benefits of a compound radius, I'm not sure why you would not want to have it. The original Charvel necks were awesome, but keep in mind, a 12" radius (or 16" as many also had) was new and innovative for it's time (Fender necks at that time were 7 1/2" or 9 1/2" radius). That was 25 years ago, and we now have the added benefit of being able to give you a compound radius - because we want our customers to have the best!!

Comment

Cool info. to have. Thanks, John! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Could you give us the detailed specs on the Charvel pointyhead necks, too? I've got a couple of strathead orders in, but wanted them done with the pointyhead profile. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

shreddermon,

Did you specify that on your pointy orders?? If not, then you need to see if anything can be done!! HAve your Dealer get with Kotzen ASAP!!! I'm not sure if they can be changed at this point (after sign off).

Comment

super fat vintage fender or gibson neck shapes would be also possible?
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X