Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reconditioning Old Floyds, Can This Be Done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reconditioning Old Floyds, Can This Be Done?

Here's one for you guys: Hypothetically, you come across a sweet deal on an old OFR, in black, but the black ain't so balck anymore. Is there a reliable way to re-finish the independent parts, something that will actually hold up, while , at the same time, not screw with clearances? I'm about to embark on a project, soon, and want to weigh all possibilities. It's gonna be cost-effective, but I don't want it looking like crap, either.
    I'm not Ron!

Re: Reconditioning Old Floyds, Can This Be Done?

Much further investigation, via online, indicates the best way to do this is by powder coating the individual parts, which is what I figured. I know Eastwood has a home powdercoating kits, for roughly $130.00, but not everybody has a spare electric oven to do parts in, either, and if you're only doing 1 or 2 jobs, it hardly seems cost-effective. And forget about electroplating, due to cost, as well. Oh well, guess I'll just stick with a brand new Floyd for my project, then.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

One word... Krylon.
      Powder coating actualy adds too much material and would interfere with a Floyd from being adjusted properly.
      I posted this same question a week or so ago and gave it a shot.
      Looks as good as new. Not sure how durable it is, but if you prep it right, it should last a long time.
      Not bad for a $4.95 investment.
      -Rick

Comment

Nah, no offense, but that can-job isn't gonna last too long. I have read up, where others have tried that, and it came off, very shortly, afterwards. The only two feasible options appear to be electroplating, and powdercoating, but, like you said, I would be afraid that powdercoating is gonna screw with tolerances. I'll play it safe, and just go the "new" route.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't frown at an old worn-in Floyd (as long as it wasn't abused and was structurally sound), but different strokes for different folks I suppose. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, if the rest of the guitar is gonna look new, then I don't want the trem sticking out like a sore thumb. I'm looking to maintain a little continuity on this one.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

It would be pretty cool to powdercoat something in colors! An all blue guitar with a blue floyd or something, that would kick ass.

Comment

I actually saw a project guitar, with a white, powdercoated floyd, as I was researching this. He had tried the paint route, and it failed, miserably. His site is where I found some of my answers. IF I find it, again, I'll post a link.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Boy, that was fast! Found the link. Here ya go:

http://users.pandora.be/marnix.ghesquiere/

Enjoy!
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Personally, I wouldn't frown at an old worn-in Floyd (as long as it wasn't abused and was structurally sound), but different strokes for different folks I suppose. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

1+
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    Well, if the rest of the guitar is gonna look new, then I don't want the trem sticking out like a sore thumb. I'm looking to maintain a little continuity on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want the gutiar to look new, I think its only fitting that you get a new OFR to go with it.

You may want go get that old OFR anyway, it may come handy in some other project that doesnt require perfection, but just a good feelin, old-school vibe.

Comment

If I were in your situation I guess the only method I would trust is powdercoating. I used to work on show cars and when I wanted to change the color of something under the hood or the brake calipers for instance I would have it powdercoated...it seemed to be the only method that was durable enough to take the abuse from the heat and was VERY scratch resistant...also looks very professional. As far as Krylon...I stopped using that stuff years ago. It's too thick and doesn't ever seem to totally harden...ya know, like basecoat/clearcoat. If you push on it with your fingernail for instance it will most likely leave an impression whereas base/clear doesn't.

Comment

I'm a fellow gearhead, and while I am aware of powdercoating, I've never actually DONE it. I was worried that the finish might be too thick, and screw with tolerances. I noticed a product called "Bulldog Adhesion Promoter", and, supposedly it works well enough, you can even paint over Chrome, after this is applied, first. Any opinions/experiences on this?
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Sorry man, never used that, or even heard of it for that matter...and while I've done my own paintwork with poly I'm not too familiar with the powdercoating process. I've always had it done because like you I don't really have the resources...ie. oven to do it myself.
                          I started thinking a little more about what you want to do and one thing you may want to watch out for are the saddle "joints." Chances are if you refinish the saddles totally assembled than it will chip and look like crap because it's a moving part. I'm not sure how easy it is to get the pins out that hold them together as I've never had to pull one apart...but, just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                          X