Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting that original "old style" oiled neck feel???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting that original "old style" oiled neck feel???

if you're gonna tung oil it, don't let it sit more than a few minutes; it tends to get sticky after it's been sitting for a while. if that happens, apply a bit more oil, then wipe off right away.

tung oil works fine, as does linseed. i believe (i could be wrong) that danish oil is a better sealant, though. the only thing lemon oil really is good for, imo, is cleaning and moisturizing.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Re: Getting that original "old style" oiled neck feel???

use Danish or gunstock oil they both seal the wood, tung oil does NOT.

Comment

I'll tell you what, use linseed oil. get a couple drops on your bare fingertips. rub it in as fast a strokes as you can, generating friction heat. this will get it into the wood and it will also cure the oil. put on several coats until the wood won't take anymore. over time the oil will darken, bring out any flame/birdseye, then it will start to take on a more vintage tone to the color. Trust me, I restore M1 Garands and M-14's this method all the time. I've hit a few charvel necks w/ this method as well. remeber to generate the friction heat as the oil is rubbed into the wood.

Comment

Getting that original "old style" oiled neck feel???

I have a 2002 GMW Charvel guitar. The neck came unfinished from GMW (I understand this is how they are shipped from the shop).

What do you guys recommend to get that old style charvel oiled feel. I have tried just using lemon oil straight onto the neck serveral times and it does not seem to want to take.

While I guitar itself is great, I want to complete the project and make it perfect.

Any help appriciated.

Thanks
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Tung oil. Apply a couple coats. Let dry overnight. Sand lightly - I use synthetic steel wool myself. I do that once or twice a year - eventually it won't need it anymore.

Comment

> Here are my recommendations for that. As a pool player that also plays guitar,I have always experimented with different finishes for shafts. What I do with a brand new shaft (or guitar neck for that matter) is pretty easy and cheap. First thing is go buy a variety pack of 3M sandpaper,220-600 grit,and a package of 1000 and 2000 grit as well. These can almost always be found in the automotive section at Wal-Mart,or at automotive stores,etc for about 8 bucks total. If you have some lemon,tung or linseed oil,all the better but not necessary. Here are the essential elements. Common white or "fine" polishing compound like you use on a car,and some PURE carnauba wax,such as Mother's Gold or Meguiars #26 High Tech Yellow. First thing you should do is wipe the back of the neck down with some common rubbing alcohol. This will remove any light sanding sealer and will SLIGHTLY raise the grain. After a thorough but careful sanding with all the prescribed grits,it should be smoother than you've probably ever felt. Then rub the back of the neck with some lemon oil,or a light coat of tung/linseed oil. Sanding sealer also works here,and is what I use on cue shafts,and trust me there is no drag. After whatever coating you put on is dry,lightly sand again with the 1000 or 2000,which will leave only what is in the pores. Rub some polishing compound into a clean white rag,as colored rags tend to bleed dye and will stain the neck. Rub the crap out of it,until it gets good and hot. Apply several light coats of the carnauba wax,and buff. This finish is pretty resistant to sweat and other moisture,and generally only requires a wipedown with a rag to maintain it. I am almost certain you will like this feel if you take the time to try it. I am also certain that this will get me flamed forever for bringing this name up,but Ed Roman's "1500g neck mod",is almost this exact same procedure,as explained to him by the late Jerry Franklin,who founded SouthWest Cues,a pioneer of high performance billiard instruments,which is also based in Las Vegas. Think the Jackson Custom Shop has a long wait? Try 7 years plus as of last week. Tommy D.
            "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Huh huh huh, you said shaft.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. I was able to get in touch with Lee and he said to use 250 gr and then 500 gr. sand paper, followed by light linseed oil.

What I ended up doing was a combo of what everyone said:

1. "000" Steel wool, followed by 600 gr wet (black) sand paper.

2. 2 coats Raw linseed oil with a cotton ball about 5-10 mins apart, followed by a thorough wipe down.

3. Let is sit for a few hours and then rubbed it with my finger to get some friction going and seal it a bit.

4. Let is sit overnight and bing, very nice in dead the next moring.

Thanks again.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Hey RR05xx, I did that exact proceedure to a GMW neck a few weeks back and man-o-man did it nail the feel of the necks on my SD Charvels. One thing I did in addition was for the 1000 grid paper was I cut a piece that would fit the curve between my thumb and index finger, and then ran it up and down the neck fast like I was playing. Made it so very smooth. The linseed really finished it off and gave it the slightest bit of amber tint. I'm told with time it will get that vintage amber look. After letting it dry overnight play it fast and often.

Comment

This is a great topic! I have a project guitar that i think i have an idea what i'm gonna do with it now!! Thanks! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Has anybody ever tried this with like a model series neck ?

Comment

I removed the finish from my Model 4 neck and tung oiled it. It came out great.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddoK:
                          Has anybody ever tried this with like a model series neck ?
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you can do this with any unfinished neck, and you'll have the same feel (the smooth texture).

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: Getting that original &quot;old style&quot; oiled neck feel???

whats the difference between tung oil, teak oil , linseed oil? i want to put a oil finish on a neck and just want to know what oil gives the best finish.right now i have teak oil .

Comment

Re: Getting that original &quot;old style&quot; oiled neck feel???

not sure of the exact differences between the three, but if you're looking for something to seal the back of the neck, use danish oil.

sully
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X