Floating trem tuning tip.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating trem tuning tip.....

This has probably been mentioned before, but...

I read about this somewhere a few years ago and have been doing it ever since. It's something very simple that makes tuning much faster.

Instead of tuning low to high, or high to low, tune "back and forth". Tune the low E, then high E, then A, then B, then D, & finally G. You may still have to repeat a couple times, but it gets you there a lot quicker.

Simple and effective!

Re: Floating trem tuning tip.....

That's exactly how I tune my Charvels with floating bridges. Great minds think alike! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Cool tip - I'll try it.

I've been doing E,A,D,G,B,E and over again.

Comment

That's what I've been doing since day 1 too. It definitely works wonders. After a while you know just how much you can go in each direction to balance other changes.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          That's what I've been doing since day 1 too. It definitely works wonders. After a while you know just how much you can go in each direction to balance other changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thanks a lot pott! Where were you for the past 20 years [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(I know - in your mom's tummy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

Comment

Yeaaah I'm such a young'un [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Most people here seem to be adult! Well I am too but... I mean... OLD!

Muaha
            I got out of my mom's tummy and tuned a Floyd Rose in less than 5 minutes. I was genetically modified to tune the darn things!
            Hahahah no in all seriousness, I wrote a lot of articles about Floyd Roses, maybe I should post them on here someday.

Basically, I always tune a string sharp, and leave the other flat. This way at one point they balance out. It's hard to describe perfectly because to be honest I barely ever pay attention, I just do it by er... 'feel'
            The whole shebang comes up pretty quick. Everyone does it differently as well so I'm sure there are tons of great techniques out there.

Comment

Cool tip! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              I've only recently started to really exploit "The Art of the Floating Floyd" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...so any tips to make my whammying life easier are much appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Alright, here are my articles then.

Tuning, and basic explanations:
                http://www.taboramaforum.com/index.php?showtopic=64127
                Stringing and setting it up, as well as cleaning:
                http://www.taboramaforum.com/index.php?showtopic=69957
                Adjusting the truss rod:
                http://www.taboramaforum.com/index.php?showtopic=72229
                Blocking a Floyd:
                http://www.taboramaforum.com/index.php?showtopic=70187

I have limited experience because I've only been playing for about a year (a bit less) but that's the info I gathered and put to use on the way.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Yeaaah I'm such a young'un [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Most people here seem to be adult! Well I am too but... I mean... OLD!

Muaha
                  I got out of my mom's tummy and tuned a Floyd Rose in less than 5 minutes. I was genetically modified to tune the darn things!
                  Hahahah no in all seriousness, I wrote a lot of articles about Floyd Roses, maybe I should post them on here someday.

Basically, I always tune a string sharp, and leave the other flat. This way at one point they balance out. It's hard to describe perfectly because to be honest I barely ever pay attention, I just do it by er... 'feel'
                  The whole shebang comes up pretty quick. Everyone does it differently as well so I'm sure there are tons of great techniques out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean. That's exactly how I do it. Been doing it that way, for years, and you're right, it's all by feel.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Instead of tuning low to high, or high to low, tune "back and forth". Tune the low E, then high E, then A, then B, then D, & finally G. You may still have to repeat a couple times, but it gets you there a lot quicker.

Simple and effective!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do exactly the opposite. I start with g, and then d, b, a, high e, low e

works great too
                    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I do exactly the opposite. I start with g, and then d, b, a, high e, low e

works great too

[/ QUOTE ]

That'll work too. You can also go high E, low E, B, A, G, D. The key is to go back and forth and not tune all strings in a row. Back and forth helps better with the counter-balancing of the trem.

Comment

Working...
                      X