Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for you builders and wood experts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you builders and wood experts.

I'm thinking of rather than selling my warmoth, taking out the maple neck which is nice but not really my style and getting a Musikraft Cocobolo neck with a Zircote board. Cost is pretty reasonable, under 300. However thats with no sealer or just a wood stabilizer. Some neck woods are fine to be unfinished. I know Palisander Rosewood does not require a finish, but what about Cocobolo which is a rosewood as well? I don't want to risk damage to the neck by not getting the right finish. Tung Oil finish isn't much more expensive but if a neck must be hardfinished (like mahogany) would it require a true lacquer type finish? I did some searching online and was unable to find any answer to wether cocobolo must be finished or not. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: Question for you builders and wood experts.

Cocobolo is a VERY oily wood, so I would say that a neck made from it wouldn't need to be oiled, or finished. It's very dense too, so you won't have any issues with sweat getting into it and causing issues. But, it's CRAZY heavy. I built a neck-thru guitar with cocobolo body wings, and it's so damn heavy that I absolutely have to sit down while playing it. So your guitar might wind up being neck-heavy.

Comment

I love the looks of Cocobolo, but Warmoth's description of it makes it sound kinda scary to get it unfinished:

"A true rosewood species and gorgeous to behold. Unfortunately this extremely oily wood is difficult to glue. Worse yet, the dust is very irritating and toxic. We have used it in the past but due to allergic reactions we choose not to work with this wood."

Comment

Well as he said oily, GENERALLY means that it would be less likely need to be finished. That doesn't mean its fact which is why I asked. I did not however know about the density. So thanks for the answer subvamp!

I am a sit down player though so its not a problem if it is neck heavy. I was aware of the weight, I plan to get a Charvel with a chambered cocobolo body for next custom. But it absolutely has to be chambered because of the weight. All rosewoods are heavy it seems.

Just a request subvamp, can you post a picture of the cocobolo guitar you built? Now I'm curious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If the wood being toxic is a concern quik, don't let that bother you. Its only the dust that is toxic. And though warmoth says they dont' work with cocobolo that is outdated, in the last year they have used it for alot of pieces. I've played a cocobolo fingerboard before and its a fantastic fingerboard to play on. IMO its no worse than Brazilian Rosewood for smoothness, look and tone. Zircote is probably 3rd on my exotic wood favorites list. I'm intrigued by Kingwood which warmoth also began to use alot recently, but I have never played it. It has an incredible look though!

Comment

I'd like to see a picture as well, and also know the weight. I have a 1977 Les Paul Custom (the heavy years). I think it weighs in at 10lbs, but it doesn't bother me with a strap.

Comment

I can almost guarantee his cocobolo guitar is heavier. For reference, its typical of UNFINISHED (which means no electronics or anything installed) rosewood body to weight in at 7lbs+ So put a neck on, and hardware and it would easily top 10 lbs. Rosewood is DAMN heavy. Thats why its typical for rosewood guitars to be tone chambered. Not just for sound (cause rosewood is so great sonically it benefits from that as well) but primarily for weight!

Comment

The back of this Taylor is Cocobolo. I saw this actual guitar in the store, and the Cocobolo is drop dead gorgeous:
              CUCKOO FOR COCOBOLO

Comment

Yea thats why I think I might get my neck finished in Nitro Gloss anyways. Cause when cocobolo is finished it really picks up intense coloration. Check out this cocobolo body done by Joe Driskill (Driskill guitars).

http://www.driskillguitars.com/Bolero.htm

There you can see the drastic difference between finished and unfinished. You can also see how Joe hollowed out the body for weight.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  "A true rosewood species and gorgeous to behold. Unfortunately this extremely oily wood is difficult to glue. Worse yet, the dust is very irritating and toxic. We have used it in the past but due to allergic reactions we choose not to work with this wood."

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very oily and you have to use the right glue and technique to work it, but when done right is just as strong as any other. Most allergic reactions to this wood are because of the dust in the air due to machining. Most - again I say most - people aren't allergic to the touch of different woods. It's very different when you breath their dust however. I absolutely can not work Padauk without a full face mask, but after the dust settles I can touch it all I want.

One thing to remember with wood, all woods will change with change in temp and moisture content. The harder the wood the more drastic the change, very hard dense woods tend to check, split, and crack while softer woods will give a little. If you live in an area with drastic temp/moisture changes you should take this into account.

Comment

Working...
                  X