I have to rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to rant

This is not meant to offend any of the members. But I am getting sick and tired of seeing San Dimas Charvels stripped down and sold in pieces, like an old Cheverolet. I now some of the components pull in big bucks. But these classic beaties are becoming rare. If your guitar isn't in great shape then sorry but it won't fetch a great price with the collectors but it still shouldn't be parted out like its old junk.
    I even get upset seeing the early Jap made Model series parted out.
    Sorry but I had get this off of my chest.

Re: I have to rant

I could not agree more. I'm also sick of the same thing with Kramer Baretta and Pacer models. I'm tired of having to build guitars to get what I want.

Comment

You are so right !!!! That is way the jackson neckthru's are so nice. very hard to fake or make a parts guitar....

Comment

This is what has been happening with old Fender's for years. For the past 12 years I have spent a bit of time and money piecing old Jazzmasters and Jaguars back together. Jazzmaster parts have gone up so much that I can't rebuild those anymore, unless I get the neck cheap (Strat guys buy them for huge bucks to convert them). I still rebuild Jaguars, infact I have two in the process now and have rebuilt around a dozen Jaguars alone over the years back to 100% every part made within a 6 month timeframe.

I wonder if there will be a backlash to all this parting out crap that really has gone out of control in the past couple of years, spreading to even new guitars today.

[ August 08, 2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

I think what becomes more tragic about this situation is there are so few charvels to begin with ... once you start adding in gitars that got destroyed, ruined ,burned etc it really thins the herd even more .. add the parting of guitar out and then it really stings ...
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I agree Kevin. The lower production numbers really pour the salt in the wound. I remember when I was talking to the guy that owned my blonde/anodized guard '59 Jazzmaster before me threatened to part it out on eBay, I really had to work to get the guitar away from him knowing that there were only 6 known to exist. To him, it wasn't about history or prestige, it was all about bottom line. One drawback in the Fender world is that the guitars were never logged (they were making way too many to keep track of), so I know guitars I have been reassembling will be known as all original guitars. It really is an advantage being able to see just what a guitar was by looking at a log book. I remember how cool it was back when my buddy Chris and I bought a D'Angelico A-1 guitar a couple of years ago and were able to look it up in D'Angeico's logs. I really wished that all companies did that. I think that is one of the many items that has really attracted me to San Dimas era Jackson guitars.

Comment

also be aware some of these guitars being parted out arent what they seem. I know ive parted out 3 SD Charvels, but all 3 were MUTTS that were passed off as original. In my mind i prevented someone else from being screwed while giving people SD parts for guitars they are restoring or building.

did i make money on the deal NO, i got back what i paid for it. & i dont think people are parting out ORIGINAL charvels i think it would be worth more in whole than peices?

Comment

i would agree with this statement...
                i think it would be worth more in whole than peices
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that being said my 2 mains are mutts...sometimes you wonder if people tried to put their ultimate guitars together from pieces instead of ordering them that way from the factory...besides...you don't feel nearly as bad beating on a mutt as you do on a pristine all-original piece...at least i don't...d.m.
                http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Boy, I sure can be a hypocrite. As I finished my last post here I had a 1987 Jackson body arrive for a project I was completing. I sure was thankfull I scored this. I figured that it was no harm as the body had mods. But doing things like my piecing Fender's back together, buying the parts from parted guitars just supports the whole market. It is easy to get caught up in a catch 22.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
                    also be aware some of these guitars being parted out arent what they seem. I know ive parted out 3 SD Charvels, but all 3 were MUTTS that were passed off as original. In my mind i prevented someone else from being screwed while giving people SD parts for guitars they are restoring or building.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good point!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

.......and the worst part is that there are plenty of scumbags who will piece together parts and try to pass them off as "orignal pre-pro blah blah blah" guitars for over $5K. Then you have all the GMW "NOS Strathead"(yeah right) necks floating around helping to fuel the fakes.

That being said....... I still need a pointy standard trem neck for a graphic star body so how much can I *****? [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't understand all the grief, everything in the world is this way. Why do we think what we think makes any difference. Next thing you know someone will tell me they don't like the way I eat or drink. People can do whatever they want!

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] wow [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ! WILD ! THIS STUFF ATTEMPTS AGAIN TO RAISE THE RARITY LEVEL OF ALL LEGIT AXES LIKE MY STRAT HEAD S , STANGE STUFF INDEED AND WHAT IS UP ! search the past for answers jedi ! [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] , ALZ

[ August 08, 2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: ALZ ]

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                            This is what has been happening with old Fender's for years.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jim, totally agree, I was in the middle of posting the same point.

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] History repeats itself, so why should the Charvel thing be any different? Money tends to attract the lower forms of life, and more and more I feel we will see this happening purely for profit. Those who do this have no interest in the history or tradition of the company and guitars. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Personally, I try to make sure that the people I deal with are within a certain "circle of trust", even if it means passing on what looks like a nice guitar.

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] LETS SEE SOME PICS OF YOUR ORIGINALS PLEASE ! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] , THANKS IN ADVANCE ! ALSO ON CC YOU CAN SEE MY CREEPER 1985 CUSTOM ORDERED STRATHEAD CHARVEL ! PEACE ! , ALZ [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] P.S.ALWAYS WANTED JACKSON SAN DIMAS AXES ANYONE SELLING ANY 1984 OR EARLIER NECK THRU V OR OLE STARS CONTACT ME !

Comment

Working...
                              X