GMW / Charvel Restorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMW / Charvel Restorations

Recently there has been a fair amount of discussion about GMW's Charvel style necks and also their abilities to restore an original Charvel neck. The main allegation is that GMW has made several mistakes, specifically with the 12th fret dots spacing. As we all know, this is one of the key identifiers to a legitimate Charvel. I had a chance to speak with Lee Garver today, at length about this issue.
    I have an original SD Charvel being restored at GMW. Somebody emailed me privately and stated that I had better be very specific about the masking/paintjob and the 12th fret dots etc. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Citing a couple of his friends had received restored necks that the dots were 'wrong' on. I bought into this and emailed Lee, to make sure that they were right. We addressed this today.
    Lee stated that he has *never* received any complaints about a neck they restored, or built from scratch. He stated that if they had received a complaint, and the dots or whatever was wrong, they would correct the problem, free of charge. While I was on the phone, he measured my dots (GMW restored neck) and compared them to two original Charvels he had in the shop. If you care, mine measured 29/32, and the two Charvels were 29/32 and 28/32 (roughly 7/8 on all). Lee asked me to post on this topic, to make sure that there was no confusion. GMW builds and restores necks from ORIGINAL Charvel templates. They know what they are doing and stand behind their work. Personally, I am satisfied 150% with their work. GMW knows more about building and restoring Charvels than any other guitar company, I would rate them even better than Jackson in some respects. So before you buy into any 'rumors' you might have heard online or wherever, take it from this more than satisfied customer -- GMW is the absolute best at what they do. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Re: GMW / Charvel Restorations

Hey There, Lee is also making a guitar for me and I e-mailed him referring the same question due to what people have said. He said to me, John That would be standard! That's all I needed to hear. I can't wait to get my Hotwheels axe.

[ July 15, 2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Fretburner ]

Comment

I'm one of those that has some wide dots on a resto job. Metalcop, are you telling me that Lee will redo my entire fretboard to make it right? If that is the case, I will definitely consider it. The only con to that is the wait time. It took right at 3 months to get it done the first time.

And let the record clearly show here, as it does at CC, that I think that Lee and GMW do amazing work. The neck was unplayable when I sent it out there. The dots don't make it play any better or worse, and it plays fantastic. I will have to call Lee tomorrow.

Comment

Check my "3738" album here at webshots. The neck is the one that was done by GMW, as was the re-assembly.

http://community.webshots.com/user/surfdork

Comment

Hey fretburner!!!! I hope I get my hotrod flames 1 day BEFORE you do. . . . Just to be a dick!!!! Kidding man. Hey, I talked to Dan Lawrence yesterday on mine and he thought maybe the first couple weeks in october on mine. Lee emailed me back things were in the work as well. Many folks have emailed me recently and have told the whole lineage of GMW. What you are getting is a true s-head sandimas guitar, only w/ out the plate. Fact is, if Charvel/Jackson type guitars ever become the rage again, GMW will be the place to go for new guitar, not a replica of an old guitar.

Comment

Hi Surfdork - I emailed you with some info. As to your guitar, those dots do look a bit wide, to me. What do they measure? (inside measurement from the outside edges) Just to clarify, neither Lee nor I stated that he had never made any mistakes with the 12th fret dots. Rather that, if mistakes had been made, nobody had ever brought it to his attention. I don't speak for Lee or GMW, but I'm confident, that if you have an issue with you guitar, that Lee will make it right. Thanks for speaking up about your experience. Remember, even though these guitars seem magical to us, they are made (or restored) by human beings, who occasionally make mistakes! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Metalcop...It's cool. I certainly was not trying to imply that you or Lee were making claims that nothing had ever left the shop with a discrepancy. (I sent ya some e-mail as well.)

While it would be great if the dots were absolutely correct, I'm more than ok with what they did for me.

Comment

Lee is also building my Hot Rod Flames strat head as we speak....this is too funny.

We should post pictures of all of them when we get them.

John...you might be first.

Later
                Monte

P.S. This is the 4th guitar Lee is building for me...He is fantastic.

Comment

The dots are the least of my problems now. Hell, at this point I love the dots. My baby is hurt, and requires a return trip to go under the knife. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

When you say your baby, you mean your child, right? My prayers are with you bro.

Comment

Anyone know a sensitive approach to asking/telling Lee to make the dots per SD charvel? Though he couldn't be cooler, I get the feeling I don't want to push him too hard and question his competance. any ideas? I'd rather not mess w/ having to send something back incorrect if I could have avoided it in the first place.

Comment

Hey CPH...I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle anyone. My family is well, thankfully . I meant the guitar that I had the neck on. The wood where the floyd posts mount is split pretty badly. I managed to bring this one back to life as parts, and I just got it back recently. Now it needs a little more TLC.

The neck is fine though!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

charvel pointy head, OCTOBER??? HA...I'll have mine the end of August or first of Sept. Who's the Dick now? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriosuly, It would be cool if you both get them around the same time but I don't think that will happen.

Hope my 12th fret dots come in with the right spacing. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by charvel pointy head:
                            [QB] Anyone know a sensitive approach to asking/telling Lee to make the dots per SD charvel?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Here's my e-mail to Lee and his response.

Hi Lee,

On my order, I know we never spoke of it but I would like the Charvel spacing for the dots at the 12th fret.

John, That would be standard.

Lee

Comment

Hey Monte, Yeah we will have to post pics when they are completed. Did you move your Bullseye?

Comment

Working...
                              X