SD #4944 strat new member=stupid questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD #4944 strat new member=stupid questions

New member here. Recently discovered this forum and just surfing it has been very informative. I recently acquired a Charvel (I'll try to link pix) and would like a little, well a lot of info. from the experts. It's a black strat shape, one bucker, one volume pot reads "A500K", Kahler trem, maple neck, pointy headstock, Charvel logo w/San Dimas neck plate serial #4944. I don't have the allen wrench for the locking nut and would like to know which size to buy so I can change the strings. There is also no bar for the Kahler. I'm a little nervous about trying a standard Fender Strat type as I don't want to mess with the threads. Is there a good source for Charvel or Kahler parts that you guys would recommend for a replacement trem arm. Also the maple neck seems to have no finish. Is this normal? It looks a little dirty. Is there something good for cleaning them or do most of you just leave them a little dirty? Also if the pix come up does that look like a correct case or just a universal replacement case? I'm just guessing based on what i've seen that it's an '85 or '86 model. Right? Also does this guitar have a name or model # or do you just commonly refer to them as "strats". Thanks in advance. Any information is appreciated.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...0684&members=1

[ June 14, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: billywade ]

Re: SD #4944 strat new member=stupid questions

Hey Billy, good lookin SD Pointy you have there. Looks clean and original.
    You'll need a 2.5mm allen for the locknuts.
    I would post a want ad in the classifieds for a Kahler bar. Someone here will have one.
    The neck has a light tung oil finish, which is normal. I've had great luck using Lemon Oil and green scotchbrite pads to clean gunked up necks, but it will always show some discoloration. Thats cool, though. Gives it character.
    The case is a replacment. Looks like a newer Jackson case.
    The S/N puts it smack in the middle of '85.
    As far as the model, we just call the SD Pointies or SD Stratheads for the strat headstock ones. SD for San Dimas.
    Nice Guitar!

[ June 14, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Chuckracer ]

Comment

from the pics it looks a real sand dimas era strat...no model #...no help w/ kahlers tho...i'm a floyd guy...d.m.
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Looks good in black. That 2nd pic makes it look like it has the infamous "Shadowy Photographer" graphic! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Very nice 'vel, there billywade. Congrats.

Comment

Thanks all for the quick responses. I didn't mention that it's a great player even with the rusty strings. Can't wait to set it up with some fresh 10s. I'm a child of the 80's (VH 1984 was my first arena show) and I'd kind of overlooked the "shredder guitars" for the last decade or so. I've had/have several bucker equipped strats (including one with volume only) and always seem to be in the bridge position. I wonder how many great USA made Charvels and Jacksons I've passed up in the pawn shops looking for Gibsons, Fenders, Gretsch, Guild, Reverends, Ibanez, Epis and the like. Once again I appreciate all of your help. I didn't realize that there were so many people who enjoy these fine guitars.

Comment

Shoot, this is only the tip of the iceberg here.
              Check out the Gallery here, and then be sure to check out Charvel Central and make darn sure sure to visit the "visuals" link at the top left corner of the page. Your in for some fun!!

Welcome back to the fold!

Comment

I thought SDs only went up to around 1500? About 2 weeks ago, i asked why someone made a joke or something about #1892 or somewhere around there. Then he replied that SDs went up to around 1500. I must be missing out on something [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I'll try to find that thread.

Comment

You're thinking San Dimas Jacksons. The last one out of San Dimas was #1505.

SD Charvels, however, went up to #5491.

Comment

I must be missing out on something [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now i know [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey! That used to be MY guitar! I had it around 4 years ago. As a matter of fact, that was the first San Dimas Charvel I ever owned.

THat's a great playing guitar! Did you know that guitar was custom ordered from the dude in Lillian axe?

Yep-she's got some history brother..

Comment

Is there a difference between SD Jacksons and SD Charvels? I know that people are crazy for one of these, or maybe both?

Comment

The very first SD Jackson bolt ons were for all intents and purposes Charvels with a Jackson logo. In fact the very first few still had Charvel neck plates on them.
                          Later on the hardware started getting cheaper and production cranked up. Some things had to give. Certainly by the time of the Ontario move, they didn't feel the same anymore.
                          I've had a few very early ones as well as Charvels, and some of the Jacksons were pretty well identical.

Comment

So just about all the SD Jacksons were good cuz they only went up to 1505?
                            Would it be worth it to get SD Charvel #5xxx? And would this be because it simply a San Dimas or were even some of the 5000+ SD Charvels good too.

Comment

BillyWade - FIRST OFF...WELCOME to our "Little Corner Of HEAVEN"

NOW...the BEST THING to do with that black pointy San Deemee Strat ???...PACKAGE it up R E A L G O O D , and take it to UPS or FedEx...The addy is...

Steve "Doc" Dryer
                              c/o Doc's Guitars
                              4124 Har...

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X