Floyd Rose Pro...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Pro...

How much better are the "Pro" models over the "Original" trems? Is it worth the extra $50.00 or so?
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

Re: Floyd Rose Pro...

They really are rather similar. The only difference I can recall right now is that the OFR bridge locks are behind the fine tuners, and the FR PRO locks are in front of the fine tuners. Also, the FR PRO model is slightly narrower than the OFR.

Comment

Not "better" at all. Just a low profile design. That's all that's different.

Comment

OFR pro is a low profile version.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

This topic came up a year ago, and people mentioned that the saddles on the OFR Pro are narrower (which means the string spacing would also be slightly narrower). I dug up guitars with a OFR and an OFR Pro, and measured and those people were correct. Here's some pics and you can see the narrower saddles.
          OFR pic
          OFR Pro pic

Comment

Will they both drop into the same spot, on the same posts, though? I understand that with the pro, you don't have the locks poking out of the back, so there WOULD be a difference, there, but is there, anywhere else?
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Will they both drop into the same spot, on the same posts, though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe at the time of that old thread I measured the centerline of the posts, and they were the same.

Comment

Thanks. Good to know. I kinda favor the newer design. I never quite liked having to tighten the locks, from the back, on those long bolts. I was always waiting to mar the finish, or maybe even snap one of the bolts.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Thanks. Good to know. I kinda favor the newer design. I never quite liked having to tighten the locks, from the back, on those long bolts. I was always waiting to mar the finish, or maybe even snap one of the bolts.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
                  Hear the universe scream
                  Bleeding from black holes
                  Whom horns careless
                  And whom God mourns

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Will they both drop into the same spot, on the same posts, though? I understand that with the pro, you don't have the locks poking out of the back, so there WOULD be a difference, there, but is there, anywhere else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Another difference is that the Pro requires a deeper recess compared to an OFR. This is because the each saddle has a part that travel underneath the bottom of trem to the fine tuner on the backside, which allows the locking screw to be above the fine tuner. So you will need more clearance on the underside. So a top mount OFR could not be replaced by a Pro unless a recess is cut out beneath it.

A nice design of the Pro is that each saddle is the SAME height, and therefore interchangeable with one another. It's the bridge baseplate that has a stepwise grade to it to accomodate the fretboard radius.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Ah, #$@*, you're right! Forgot about that. Well, ther goes MY idea. I'm about to do a soloist body (if the nody ever GETS here!), with a topmount route, and was gonna go the Pro way. Okay.......maybe not.....
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                      X