How can I tell where my body is from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I tell where my body is from?

I recently bought a mutt, and the neck is definitely a model series, but the guitar had a SD neckplate, which makes me wonder if the body is a San Dimas as well. It is a strat style, and the neck pocket has numbers written inside it in pencil. The numbers don't match the serial no. on the SD neckplate though. Is there any way of telling where the body is from?

Re: How can I tell where my body is from?

Not without a whole lot more information and pics of the neck pocket, front and rear of the body.

It sounds as if it may be an SD, and the penciled neck numbers is the work order number, which would indeed be different than the serial number.

Who did you buy it from?

Comment

email me pics
      [email protected]

there are a few things that are dead giveaways on SD bodies.

Comment

Will do as soon as I get my puter running again. I fried my motherboard, and right now I am using my friend's old laptop. The laptop has Win95, and my camera needs Win98 or higher. I'll see if I can get the pix to you tomorrow. I bought it from some slimeball in a pawnshop that tried to sell it to me as "a guitar that some guy in a band in Hollywood played. I can't remeber the name, but you've heard of them". That was his selling point. He wanted $450 for it, covered with stickers and drips of paint. I pointed out that the lower horn was cut deeper by some jackass with a bandsaw, then colored in with what looked like Magic Marker, and the other guy told me it was a custom job. I made it damn clear to them that I knew 100 times more about what I was looking at than they did, so they gave it to me at a MUCH better price than the $450 they wanted.

[ May 30, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Ace ]

Comment

If you could send me the pics as well...I'm sure Jamie and I will agree, but I'd sure like to catch him in a mistake if I could! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

If it helps, the body is about an inch longer than my 650 Custom, and the horns are thicker and more strat-like. It looks more like the San Dimas bodies that I have seen than the Model bodies. I'll post the pix as soon as I can.

Comment

Check out the "informational" section at Charvel Central's web site. There is a thread with the title "Body Identification...please participate" It compare and contrasts 7 Charvel/ Jackson strat bodies (San Dimas to late model Jacksons). Several of the members have added a slew of measurements and quick giveaways (ie. Recessed rear pickguard routs for late models etc...) [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

From what I learned on that site, mine isn't a USA. It has a recesed trem spring cover. Oh well, it's still really nice.

Comment

It still may well be a USA Jackson, and that don't suck!
                  Pics, please!!

Comment

if the comfort contour in the back extends past the trem spring route & is a smooth transition its usually USA made. the recessed trem panel may be a USA Jackson (ontario era). is the pickup route for a standard hum or is it slightly larger for a Jackson covered pickup.

Comment

The contour curve on the back extends .30" past the trem route, and the pickup cavity measures 1.68" wide. It is bigger than the PU cavity on any of my other guitars, the bezel was 2" wide, and all my pups seemed "lost" in there. Budman is making me a new one, since the one that came with it is broken. I hope to get my puter fixed early next week, right now I am borrowing an old Pentium laptop from a friend so I can track my eBay auctions.

Comment

PIX!!

Comment

Yep, definitely a Model Series, Made In Japan guitar. No San Dimas era Charvel ever came with a factory recessed trem (that is definitely a factory recess) nor did any come with a recessed trem cover. Still a nice body and probably 1/4 the price of a SD body!

Comment

The trem recess was actually done by someone else, however the trem cover recess is from the factory. I think the only possibility other then it being a model series is that it MIGHT be a USA Jackson. I am just curious, I am totally happy with the body, and I am in the process of totally rebuilding this guitar.

Comment

It looks like someone made the bottom cutaway larger. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X