Value questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value questions...

O.K. Now that I've determined that my Charvel isn't Steve Vai's [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ... I have a couple questions about some things that I'm gonna do to it that might effect it's value.

One is the refin.. The guitar body was stripped of all paint when I got it, I am planning a refin, but not to the original work order color (metallic red). Instead opting for a modified "Hot Rod Flames" graphic...

Secondly, it's got the factory Floyd [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but it has the old screw in type posts [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .. The good news is they are still straight in the body but I was considering upgrading to the newer insert type posts.. Now to me, this seems more of a value killer than say the non-original paint scheme as some body material would have to be removed to accomodate the inserts and it's a permanent mod as opposed to a paint job that can be stripped and redone to work order specs if so desired... ON the other hand, from a player standpoint... the inserts would be more reliable in the long run and I don't want to have to drill the holes for the inserts AFTER the graphic is done if it should need them..

So you see my choices here... I want to keep the guitar as original as possible while still retaining it's everyday playability...

Some opinions from the people "in the know" would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance and [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] !!

I'm

Re: Value questions...

If it's going to be one of your everyday players, put in the new inserts and posts. If your not going to play it alot, you might as well leave it. I would change them. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

There really is no "collector" value anymore, so its a player. Still, I would leave the posts. But I would also leave it unfinished, so there ya go!

Comment

Oh well, hell then... if there is no collector value at all, I'm just gonna take the hacksaw to it and make a true custom.... anybody want to buy a neckplate for $400.00?? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't know Chuck, I beg to differ on that... I believe the "braincell" that stripped the guitar and pulled out the frets on the original neck is a prime candidate for Sully's "nut noose" but I've seen total parts mutts go on the bay for $600+... There is now and I believe will always be a market for these guitars... This one isn't in the best condition but I'm looking into having the neck restored and since they ain't makin' anymore of these, and the supply is dwindlin' by the day... Even the dogs of today will be the "diamonds in the rough" of tomorrow...

I'm basically making this one a "player", so the money and effort I'm puttin into it now is to please me, not for resale value... BUT I would like to try and preserve the "originality" of the guitar as much as possible.. If that makes any sense..

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

do with it what you will, but remember it was meant to be played...if i were you, i'd keep it, it'll probably become your favorite and then you won't sell it anyway...d.m.
          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I don't think Chucks "player" statement means it needs the bandsaw. Once you go to sell it and say its a refin it effects the value greatly. Possibly by 50%. Now with a neckplate selling for $350 that does'nt leave you alot of room to justify the graphics job,neck restoration,etc,etc. Some people like the screw in studs (very 80's [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] )
            You should build it to how you'd like it and who knows where prices will be down the road. I mean you're not doing all this work to flip it. are you??? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ..........Gary

Comment

Sure, there is a market for the guitar... but as has been said, there is no real "collectors" value to it at all. Not that it's a big deal or anything.

Do whatever you want to it. Enjoy it. That's what it's made for.

I have a few truly collectable peices, and you know what, they get played and subjected to the same treatment as the rest of my guitars... Well cared for, but **** happens. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I don't know, but I get the feeling that my questions/statements are being taken the wrong way here...

(1) I have no intention of trying to sell it, and I didn't buy it because I thought I was gonna get a "big payday" off of it... IF that were the case, you'd have already seen the neckplate, body, etc... on Ebay. I'm sure I could have made a nice profit on that from what I paid for it! I had one Email not ten minutes after the auction was over offering me good money just for the case before I even had it in my hands... But it's staying with me, along with the rest of the guitar. I didn't get the original neck with it when I bought it, but the guy found it later and even though it's in HORRIBLE shape, I bought it anyway just to try and keep all the parts together.

My intentions are to make a player out of it, albeit a nice one when it's all said and done! The hacksaw statement was a joke, you know funny (ha, ha)... Just a tongue in cheek comment, I wouldn't do that to it. My original plan was to buy a Strat body from Warmoth and have it finished in the same way that I'm having this one done, but the body I was looking at in the Thrift Shop sold the day before I called on it..... then this came up, was DEFINATELY worth the money and I modified my plans... That is all. I was just curious as to what would hurt the future value of it because you see so many of the "die hard" fans saying "OH NO, don't touch it.... They're all gonna laugh at you!!" [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Alrighty then, I'm just gonna do what I damn well please with it, the way I look at it... I'll have a hell of a nice guitar for alot less money than if I had ordered it from a "Custom Shop" and it just so happens to be a parts mutt.. no biggie, I'm sure I'll live and one day if I decide to sell it... I'm sure I'll get back out of it what I've got in it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

my faves are all parts mutts...they seem more "me"...lol...d.m.
                  http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

IMO i would have the new inserts & posts & i would NOT refinish the body. I have charvel SanDimas parts & have bought charvel MUTTS just for certain parts I needed to complete projects & such. Yes there is always a market for these guitars no matter how unoriginal or mollested they may be. also im assuming yours is a pointy headstock. the value of pointys is still very low IMO, only NON STRAT shapes & a HRF v-trem strat have broken the $1000+ with a pointy headstock that ive seen.

just ask yourself is all this $ invested into this parts guitar worth it. Right now I have a C/J strathead project that ive been working on for too long now. when its complete minus re-fin i should be into the guitar for just under $700 which isnt too bad for a strat headstock charvel. i figure i couldnt touch a GMW, or a modded legit strat headstock charvel for that, so it a good option.

also if your not going with the original color might as well go totally custom. if the paint doesnt match the work order none of the other parts really matter since everyone assumes its a different body anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by jamie:
                      IMO i would have the new inserts & posts & i would NOT refinish the body.........

..........also if your not going with the original color might as well go totally custom. if the paint doesnt match the work order none of the other parts really matter since everyone assumes its a different body anyhow.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">O.K. then, I've already got the posts/inserts ordered from Warmoth, along with the Strathead neck (AAA Birdseye/Birdseye) that I'm gonna put on this "puppy" anyway... So the inserts are going in. But the body is definately gonna get a refin of some kind... when I got it, the body was stripped to bare wood, so as you say.... the original color idea (as far as work order matching) kinda went out the window right there. So a full blown custom paint job it is (which was my intention anyway from the get-go, only I was gonna use a Warmoth body). With what I have in the body, neck, etc...... INCLUDING the refin... which by the way will be a HRF graphic done in the Chromallusion color changing paint (sort of old school HRF meets the newer "Interferance Flames" vibe)... I will have considerably less than 1K in it... That is everything done!! Turn key and ready to go... So when you ask me "Is it worth it to me".. I have answer with a hearty...HELL YEAH!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I mean any Strathead Charvel CLONE(i.e. not using "real" parts) W/Graphic by GMW is gonna run you $1200/$1300 bucks or more... no Birdseye neck, no Charvel neckplate (if nothing else than to provide that "authenitcity" [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), etc..... Still a sweet guitar but for relatively the same or less cash, I can have this knowing that it's at least for the most part it's a real San Dimas Charvel (everything but the finish, neck and tuning machines will be 100% original SD Charvel as per the work order, including the EMG pickups and the factory installed Floyd that came with the guitar!!). So yeah, it's worth it to me. Maybe not to anyone else, but I don't care.... As I said, I didn't buy it try and sell.... I bought if for ME!!

Mabye I should have just kept my mouth shut on this one... I mean the whole idea was to build this HRF/Interferance Flames custom guitar anyway.... I just happened to stumble onto this great buy on a real San Dimas (thanks again, Starguitar!!) and I decided to use it instead of a Warmoth body.... Just wanted to see if I was gonna do something stupid by drilling the body for the inserts.

I'll post pic's when it's done.. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Stephan, you seem kinda defensive about the whole thing and frankly I don't understand that. You asked about hurting the value, a legitimate question. If this were a mint unmodified Charvel, I would have been jumping up and down yelling "Don't change a thing!!". All in caps, I suppose. However, it's a stripped body with a neckplate, therefore unless the original neck can be restored and but back on the guitar and the guitar rebuilt around the plate, it's a parts mutt so the value in the SD Charvel world is non-existant.
                        Does that make it a bad guitar? Absolutly not. Would I pay more for it than, say, a used GMW? Probably. Will it increase in value? I doubt it. Does that really matter in the end? Not one friggen iota!
                        The new age HR Flames idea is a great one. Run with it! I still wouldn't change the posts, though... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sorry if I came across that way Chuck, I don't really feel defensive as I do "misunderstood" on this one.. I mean I did ask the question, and it was regarding the possible resale value of the guitar in the future but not in the sense that my sole motivation in buying this guitar was to try to make a buck.. But on the other hand and to paraphrase a bit, you don't buy the Mona Lisa just to wipe the smirk off her face.. If you catch my meaning. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing a monumentally stupid thing by altering this guitar in a way that couldn't be reversed.

But in the end, I'm realizing that I need to do with this guitar what I intended to do with it from the start and not worry about the "value" of the guitar to anybody else.. I bought it for me, so I should do with it what makes me happy. Sounds kinda selfish, but I can live with that!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think I need a hug now..... [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
                          [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

How bad is the original neck? Is it repairable? That would be better for your re-sale chances down the road if that should ever happen. I know it can get pretty pricey repairing a neck...I have about 3 bills into a Charvel neck that was backbowed. (should be back from GMW this week!!)New fretboard, re-fret, etc. After seeing a neckplate go for $300+, I didn't feel so bad about going for the surgery. It'll be like having a brand new, already broken in neck. And after all...isn't the SD "feel" in the neck??

Comment

Originally posted by surfdork:
                              How bad is the original neck? Is it repairable? That would be better for your re-sale chances down the road if that should ever happen. I know it can get pretty pricey repairing a neck...I have about 3 bills into a Charvel neck that was backbowed. (should be back from GMW this week!!)New fretboard, re-fret, etc. After seeing a neckplate go for $300+, I didn't feel so bad about going for the surgery. It'll be like having a brand new, already broken in neck. And after all...isn't the SD "feel" in the neck??
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's repairable and I've already contacted Lee at GMW about restoring it ($375.00 for a new fretboard, refret, and the headstock repaired).. I don't have the neck in hand yet, it was shipped today so I'll be able to get a "hands on" inspection of it in a few days. I don't know yet how it is for twist, or bow yet but someone at some time had pulled the frets out of it and chipped the fretboard pretty bad in a few spots, and the headstock has part of the tip chipped off and it's been rounded over. You may have seen it on Ebay here recently, the guy that was selling it was the guy that I bought the rest of the guitar from.... He had a Model 4 neck on the guitar when I bought it, and dug around and found the neck later. I bought it so I could keep all the parts together. I'll probably have it restored eventually because if I ever do decide to sell it, I'd probably like to keep that Warmoth neck..

Comment

Working...
                              X