copper shielding tape vs. brass plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copper shielding tape vs. brass plates

hey guys, have any of you noticed a performance difference between fully shielding a control cavity w/copper tape vs. using a brass sheet?

also, besides the parts house companies, anyone know where you can get the copper shielding tape? i would have thought that radio shack would have it, but i guess not.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Re: copper shielding tape vs. brass plates

I would say that from an electronic standpoint, a full shielding would always be better than just a plate. When I wired up my dinky, I used aluminum tape thats found in the HVAC section of Home Depot, and it seems to work good and is available localy for fairly cheap.

Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

thanks man, i'll go grab somma' dat. i've got some wicked hum going on, and according to mister multimeter, all my grounds are good.
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

someone suggested to me screen material would be good to reduce hum. Anyone try that?

Comment

Based on E-Bay the tape can be had from GB. Why no Us auctions? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-pickup-self-a...1QQcmdZViewItem
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn dude, do you have the pickup leads going UNDER your shielding? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] you sir, are hardcore. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks, I take pride in my wiring. Now if only I could play as good as I wire, Id be set. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

if you are using the tape, don't forget to connect the strips with some solder to avoid potential ground loops unless the adhesive is conductive and you overlap.

btw, i got the copper tape from stewmac:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Conductive_Copper_Tape.html
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, does your guitar even work? I don't see how it could. Where's the huge glob of solder on the pots like I have on mine? You can't make good contact unless there's a huge glob, everyone knows that.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

As long as the material is conductive, you should be fine. You are basically trying to create what's called a faraday cage around your controls to keep RF signals out.

Comment

Nice job. Why did you cut out around the switch and pots? Is it better if they don't touch the shielding? I've always mounted everything directly over the shielding.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

thanks for the link, tim, i'm tryin to avoid ordering some online b/c i don't have a bunch of other parts i have to order as well, and i'd really like to pick some up locally.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          if you are using the tape, don't forget to connect the strips with some solder to avoid potential ground loops unless the adhesive is conductive and you overlap.

btw, i got the copper tape from stewmac:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Conductive_Copper_Tape.html

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 I've got orders going in every week to these guy's! Sheesh! Good idea on verifying contact between sheets. I usually just put a dab of solder on the overlaps just to make sure their making contact.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Hey Sully, the techs at work shielded my bass player's Jazz bass with this new kind of shielding paint that they got. It works like a charm and that bass is totally silent now.

Comment

Got a name on that new paint? Curious.
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X