Where should I put the EMG's...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I put the EMG's...?

I've gone and acquired four EMG pups. 2 85's, an 81 and an 89. The original plan was to put an 85 in the bridge of my WRMG, and an 81 in the neck. I'll probably still do that, even though through my XT Live the HZ's actually sound pretty nice. But even if I still go ahead and do that, I've still got an 85 and an 89. So, these are my current axe/pup configs...

Death Angel 1-EMG 81
    WR1 (arriving shortly) Distortion Trembucker/Bridge, Full Shred/Neck
    KV2 2-TB4's
    KE1 1-TB4

Now this is what sucks, I've never soldered and I'm not going to start on any of these guitars! So I'll be having my tech do the install. Hopefully some of you guys have made similiar swaps in these axes and know what type of results to expect, so I don't have to pay for a dozen installs to find out for myself! Fire away with suggestions and experiences please! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

Re: Where should I put the EMG\'s...?

I think the 81 in the bridge and the 85 in the neck is a more popular setup. After they are installed, with the exception of the coil tap features of the 89, you can just unplug them and move them around if you want without soldering. The new EMG pickups have a little plug on the wire that plugs into the bottom of them so it makes swaps pretty easy.

Comment

Paul, I can attest that the 81 sounds good in the bridge of a KV1, however, I'll be putting mine back together with an 85 in the bridge to see how that sounds.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Don't forget the 25 pots. He won't, I hope. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I think the 81 in the bridge and the 85 in the neck is a more popular setup.

[/ QUOTE ]
          Yeah, but it's not the best sounding setup. The 81 is too bright in the bridge. The 85 works better in the bridge with an 81 or 60 in the neck, IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ahh, I've never used the 81. I have 89s all around.

Comment

The 81 is okay, I'd probably use that in a guitar that only had one pickup and turn the treble down on the amp, but I find it blends a little bit better for me in the neck position with the warmer 85 or 89 in the bridge.

Comment

I think I'd put the 85/89 combo in the KV, but that may be just me. =) The coil split option is ideal for a neck pup IMO, while the 85 is really killer at the bridge.

Comment

I'd say put the 81 with the 89 in the WRMG
                  if you dont like you can swap it with the other guitars 85
                  but i think its much better that way, to get some variey

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The 81 is okay, I'd probably use that in a guitar that only had one pickup and turn the treble down on the amp, but I find it blends a little bit better for me in the neck position with the warmer 85 or 89 in the bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly my thinking Joe. The 81 was shockingly bright in the bridge position. It sounded good, but would definitely require a tone adjustment on the amp. SInce the neck position naturally mellows a bright pickup, I'm sure the 85 in the bridge, and 81 in the neck will sound much better. I'll hopefully get a chance to wire mine up tonight, and I'll know for sure.

Comment

You need to change the pots and the output jack.

Comment

In the trash. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

No seriously, EMG's are the devil.

Comment

What I did - I've only had EMG's for 6 months, so I'm still getting used to them.

Charvel/Jackson Fusion Deluxe mutt: EMG81 in the bridge, and EMG-S in the neck (it's a hum-sing axe), 18 volts. The single is clean and jazzy, and the 81 is like a razor. My "Great White" axe - it does the "Rock Me" thing nicely.

My KS2 Kelly Star - EMG85 neck, EMG81 bridge (both quick connect) and a SPC boost, 9volts (lack of room). I haven't had much time with this since wiring it up, but the EMG81 in the bridge of either axe will take your head off. It's a buzzsaw. Just like Metallica in the golden days. I might decide to flip the pickups in the Kelly Star to see how the 85 does in the bridge.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly my thinking Joe. The 81 was shockingly bright in the bridge position. It sounded good, but would definitely require a tone adjustment on the amp. SInce the neck position naturally mellows a bright pickup, I'm sure the 85 in the bridge, and 81 in the neck will sound much better. I'll hopefully get a chance to wire mine up tonight, and I'll know for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Yeah, a darker/warmer bridge pup with a brighter neck pup definitely works better.
                            I had the 81/81 combo in my old Hamer, it didn't sound too bad since the body and neck were mahogany, but the 3/8" maple cap seemed to brighten things up and it still was a little too bright in the bridge for my tastes, I usually kept the tone control on 5 to tame things a little.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              You need to change the pots and the output jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, since I already have 25k pots, and a stereo jack in it. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X