No announcement yet.

Steve Vai's Charvel in Crossroads.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Vai's Charvel in Crossroads.....

I know this is probably a long shot..... a REALLY long shot.... but does anyone happen know the serial number of the red Charvel that Steve Vai used in the movie Crossroads??? Just curious as I got the work order info on that stripped San Dimas Charvel that I got off Ebay and for all intents and purposes... it matches!!

Strat body, Metallic red, 2 hums, Chrome hardware, Floyd Rose... the only thing that doesn't come back as a total match for his guitar in Crossroads is that this one had a Maple/Rosewood neck on it... his was a Maple/Maple but without a headstock logo so it makes me wonder if they didn't put a "dummy" neck on it just to shoot the movie.... Maybe some copywrite crap or no agreement with Charvel to use the name.. Who knows.

I realize that this is probably a REALLY BIG IF , but it would almost be like winning the lottery to me if it turned out to be THE ONE!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Any info would be greatly appreciated or even an clue on how I could go about finding out if it is would be terrific.. Thanks in advance and [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

BTW, I'm gonna post this in the General Jackson/Charvel section as well... just in case people don't see it here.

Re: Steve Vai\'s Charvel in Crossroads.....

It's funny that you would post about the Vai Charvel from Crossroads. I've been in love with that axe since I saw Crossroads in the theater. I was thinking about what I would order if I were to get a Jackson Custom Shop Guitar. It was a toss up between basically the same guitar, but a one humbucker model or add a bucker and another volume knob. I was thinking the 2 humbucker model just like Vais used in the movie would be better. It would sure be cool to find out that what you have is indeed the one Vai used. I have no info, but I wish you luck. You should post a pic if you can.

Comment

They have it in their gallery at charvel central, along with a photo when it was sunburst.
      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

never mind, thought you were talking about the green meenie. I should really read the whole post [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Man, that would be REALLY cool!!! I'm not holding my breath, but I'm in the process of lining up a refin job on it and I'd like to try and find out for sure before I do that.. If it were, I'd send it right back to Jackson for a full factory refin back to original stock condition ASAP!!! Anyway, here are some pic's of the body.. Some goober stripped it sometime in the past.. When I got it, it had a Charvel Model 4 neck on it... still had the original Floyd, knob, and switch... all in chrome... Someone had put EMG's in it (a 58 and an H) but they were not original because it still had the brass ground plate in it. I was under the impression that Charvels with EMG's didn't use the brass grounding plate. Anyway, had the original plate and back covers as well as the original case.. the only thing missing was the original neck.. I called the the plate number in to Jackson and they got back with me today, they are gonna fax me a copy of the work order tomorrow but they told me the specs on it over the phone.. Here are some pic's of the body, I've since taken all the hardware, pickups, etc... out of it pending the refin... Here it is:

It's a two piece body and the work order says it's an Alder/Poplar body (??).. any body ever hear of that. Using two different woods on one guitar that's not like a laminate cap.. This is actually two pieced joined lenghtwise just above the cavity cover.

Comment

I dig that guitar too and I have often wondered if it is still intact. When he drops it at the end I always cringe. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I have a very similar Charvel. It is dark red (not sparkle), 2 hums, 1 knob, 1 toggle, original brass bridge (not a floyd) and the neck has a Rosewood fretboard (no maple). So there are a few differences.

Comment

Vai's was routed for 3 knobs:

http://www.jcguitars.com/starvai.htm

Comment

Scuss me.. I'm an idiot (in reference to the 3 knob statement). Crappy photo, but here it is:

http://www.jcguitars.com/zvai7.JPG

Your neck info would make sense, according to Jcguitars.com

Comment

Yeah, I've seen that guitar at the jcguitars website (The red Strat w/pickguard)... and from what I've heard (from very knowledgable sources), that guitar is indeed the one from the movie. But the one I'm referring to is the one he is playing in the movie. The 2 hum, pointy headstock Charvel (in the previously posted pic above). It's gonna be about another 2-3 weeks before she gets sent off for the refin job, so I'm gonna do some snoopin' and hope I can find out some info before then. Thanks for the replies and the help!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Hey Stinkbug.... yeah, I really hate that too!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just breaks my heart!!

Comment

Stephan, the Alder/Poplar on the work order means it was made out of either/or, not both. When no custom wood was specified, they grabbed either one and went at it. Yours is Alder, definitely the better choice of the two.

Comment

Cool.. thanks Chuck!! I thought that was really weird that they would do that [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] !! Got the work order info and I'm pretty convinced it's NOT the Charvel from Crossroads.. I wasn't holding my breath on it, but hey.... you never know!! Thanks again guys.. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

hey ts still a briliant looking guitar anyway

i woulnt complain

David

Comment

Hey Thanks, and believe me.... for what I paid for it, I'm not complaining!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just wait until the refin is done.... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

BTW, when I got it... the original neck wasn't on it, but I've managed to score it as well!! It's in really bad shape, but I wanted to keep the guitar all together at least. Maybe a full restoration for the neck one day... Thanks again guys.. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't like steve vai. He's a wanker.

Comment

Originally posted by WAR IN D View Post
                              I know this is probably a long shot..... a REALLY long shot.... but does anyone happen know the serial number of the red Charvel that Steve Vai used in the movie Crossroads??? Just curious as I got the work order info on that stripped San Dimas Charvel that I got off Ebay and for all intents and purposes... it matches!!

Strat body, Metallic red, 2 hums, Chrome hardware, Floyd Rose... the only thing that doesn't come back as a total match for his guitar in Crossroads is that this one had a Maple/Rosewood neck on it... his was a Maple/Maple but without a headstock logo so it makes me wonder if they didn't put a "dummy" neck on it just to shoot the movie.... Maybe some copywrite crap or no agreement with Charvel to use the name.. Who knows.

I realize that this is probably a REALLY BIG IF , but it would almost be like winning the lottery to me if it turned out to be THE ONE!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Any info would be greatly appreciated or even an clue on how I could go about finding out if it is would be terrific.. Thanks in advance and [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

BTW, I'm gonna post this in the General Jackson/Charvel section as well... just in case people don't see it here.
                              Hey man.Im pretty sure the guitar Steve played was a 1986 Charvel San Dimas Ferrari red H/H Strat model.Steve had Grover set that guitar up for the movie and kept the guitar after.He had the neck replaced with a charvel Strat neck/headstock by Grover again after the movie.And that guitar is in one of the HardRock Cafe's today somewhere in Cal.You might be able to find the serial# if you find out which Cafe has it.Hope that helps,Get back if you do find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X