Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me with the origin of this guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me with the origin of this guitar?

Hello, I'm new here. Hopefully someone hasnt posted about this one already!

Ok, I havent figured out what year and model this damn guitar is. I've had it for years and I've been very curious all this time about its origin. I bought it at a pawnshop, so I'm not sure what hands it's been in. I've tried looking up the serial # at the Charvel site, and nothing matched up. There's nothing on the guitar but the name Charvel, and the serial # on the back of the headstock just under the tuning machines. That's it, no visible model name or anything.

It's got a neck-thru design and it's a solid, heavier feeling instrument than many other Charvels. The only mod I did other than different pickups (I believe the Jackson pickup covers are stock, and theyre still on the guitar) is the cumbersome locking nut that had the 3 allen screw covers that went over the top of them. I replaced that with a less gaudy locking nut. It has Jackson tuners and a Kahler tremolo. The serial # is C604350.

I know the photo is ass, but its all I got for the time being. The guitar is not nearly as yellow as it looks. Its more of an off-white or cream color. It almost looks like it was straight up white brand new, and the color has aged since. I know old Gibson SG shaped Les Pauls used to do that.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas? Oh yeah, and the neck is painted with the rest of the guitar. Hopefully this pic works.

Re: Can anyone help me with the origin of this guitar?

That is a model 5, A made in Japan model

Most likely a 1986/7 Model

I have its brother. What is the serial #?

Kevin
    It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Serial # C604350.

Do you know where I could appraise it's value? Are the Japanese models considered less prestigious than it's American counterparts, or no?

Comment

Depending on condition....

Follow eBay for few weeks and you will see the model 5s come up. Check and see the completed items. I have seen 200's to low 300's average depending on condition and of course the buyeres imediate interest. This was the same question I asked a year ago when I was looking for my first neck thru. The model 5/6 is worth more to the owner/player than to the collector buyer so keep it. I think they are the best values for the rock guitar player.

Kevin
        It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Yes, I reckon that is a Model 5.

But I don't think it would have been white when new. I have an '88 Model 6 of what looks like the same colour, and checking back through old ads/catalogues I seem to remember finding "Pearl" advertised as a colour. I reckon that's what our guitars are.

I really like the colour - it's less obvious and brash than straight white, and (to my taste) nicely tones down what is a real rock instrument - a case of a wolf in sheep's clothing (certainly if the Jackson p/ups are upgraded).

Beautiful guitars - although I agree with the weight point. Its way heavier, and just generally bigger-feeling, than a '95 San Dimas Standard I bought last week. Nice to play, though - for anyone sympathising with me after my post on its awkward neck dimensions, I should say that I am getting used to it.

Anyway, welcome to the world of Charvels!

Mark

Comment

It's an '86 Model 5a, and most likely Pearl White. It's value, dead mint would be $300-$400.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkW:
              But I don't think it would have been white when new. I have an '88 Model 6 of what looks like the same colour, and checking back through old ads/catalogues I seem to remember finding "Pearl" advertised as a colour
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The colour was actually Pearl White. And yea, it does age to that lovely creme colour. I've got a Model 2 in the same colour

Originally posted by Xenophobe:
              It's an '86 Model 5a, and most likely Pearl White
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Xeno, the 5A was the single hum version, some of whom were converted to 5FX with the addition of the single coil in the neck. This guitar is a Model 5
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Oh... Silly me. I always get the 5 and 5a confused. :blush:
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                X