Need help refinishing a JT-500 trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help refinishing a JT-500 trem

Anybody now how to refinish/repaint a trem.
    I have a JT-500 that is in perfect working order, it's just scratched up and the finish is worn off in spots.
    I love the trem, but it looks like shit.
    I'm refinishing the guitar it came off of and it would look out of place on a newly painted body.

I'm thinking an epoxy based paint perhaps, but I've never painted a trem before.
    Any suggestions?
    -Rick

Re: Need help refinishing a JT-500 trem

You're part of the way there to having a "reliced" guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] People will pay big bucks for that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I would not try to add paint to the paint that is already there. It just may gum up the whole works. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

It's not a real expensive or hard to find trem, so I wouldn't spend a ton on it. Tell ya what I've done that looks really good: Completely disassemble it, and wash everything in hot soapy water, rinse well, let dry. Get a can of Krylon semi-flat black and respray all the parts with a couple of coats. It'll look great and the finish will hold up under use very well. (plus it'll only cost ya about 4 bucks!)
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        It's not a real expensive or hard to find trem, so I wouldn't spend a ton on it. Tell ya what I've done that looks really good: Completely disassemble it, and wash everything in hot soapy water, rinse well, let dry. Get a can of Krylon semi-flat black and respray all the parts with a couple of coats. It'll look great and the finish will hold up under use very well. (plus it'll only cost ya about 4 bucks!)

[/ QUOTE ]
        That's what I figured.
        I know I'll have to mask off key parts so the paint won't gum up any of the threads. I was just not sure what type of paint to use.
        I'm definately trying to not have to buy a new trem.
        This one works great and the knife edges are still in excellent shape.

Thx for the info.
        [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        -Rick

Comment

The semi-flat or flat it the way to go. These paints are thin enough. Epoxy paint is way too thick. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Yeah and dont forget to lube the threads since it's all disassembled.

Comment

Cool... sounds easy enough.
              Thx guys. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              -Rick

Comment

Dumb question, but when I messed with car parts a lot, my favorite paint was semi-gloss epoxy enamel for underhood brackets and chassis parts.

What is the diff between semi-gloss and semi-flat? I always thought the semi-gloss looked much better for what I was doing.

I seem to remember it was something like semi-gloss was flat with 30% gloss and semi-flat was gloss paint with 30% flat.

Is that right? Sorry for the hijack.
                When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
                X