Painting Snake Skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Snake Skin

I was watching Orange County Choppers the other day and they sent some sheet metal out for painting. The painter did a snake skin paint scheme using fishnet stockings. How do they paint snake skin on guitars?
    Just one more guitar!

Re: Painting Snake Skin

With fishnet stockings?
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

That's what I've been told. I have a DKMG project that I plan on trying it on. I need to find out how they get it tight on the inner part of the horns. I'm guessing that is going to be hard part.

Comment

i've been told that there's a mesh that you can get at grainger that works nicely. never looked into it, tho.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

A gas tank is more tear drop shaped and I would assume it would easier than a guitar, but I work on the tanks and fenders.
          Just one more guitar!

Comment

I use the netting that oranges are typically packed in [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i've been told that there's a mesh that you can get at grainger that works nicely. never looked into it, tho.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll drag a Grainger catalog home from work tomorrow..I do know that you have to be a company to order from them(on their account,anyway).I have made personal purchases from them using my credit card(the people behind the counter know me a little too well),but I have to do it through my employer's account.I have tried to get one of my own,but they won't do it.

To make a overly verbose statement a little shorter,I will see what I can find in the catalog and lend my access to anyone who needs it..
              Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I use the netting that oranges are typically packed in [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, those are the same basic ones they use to make fishnet stockings, except they use all the rejects and mis-woven throw aways to make the stockings. (saves costs)
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I've seen it done with the metal mesh of which Sully speaks. That and a spray can works way better than you think it ought to.

Comment

Who's got pics?

Comment

I saw a guitar player issue with a jackson tour back in '88 or so, it showed a guy using mesh to paint snakeskin. He was holding it over a contour with one hand, spraying with the other. Looked like something that would be fairly simple once you had the mechanics down.

Pete

Comment

http://www.quadel.net/netting.html
                        http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/CTGY/aetank

Comment

I watched that episode too. I think the biggest things are getting mesh the size you want for the scales and making sure it doesn't move at all during the time you are painting. If someone can do it by holding the mesh by hand, I'd be really impressed.

Comment

I've seen that industrial netting around work. I'll have to grab a few pieces and experiment, as I was thinking about doing a snakeskin paintjob. I know what you mean about Grainger: I get stuff from them, at work, all the time. Great company, but, yeah, you can't make personal orders. Bummer.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                            X