Fun with Bondo!! ...Rhoads project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with Bondo!! ...Rhoads project

This is a project I finally got around to doing for one of our members. He wanted pics of the whole process, so I thought it would be fun to post them here. First of all, there's nothing technical about this method, and with a little practice anyone can do it. When mods are done this way (and done properly), I'm convinced that they will never show up under the finish. Hey, if it's good enough for cars it's good enough for guitars...ya know? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    So here we go (again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

The project: A Rhoads RX10D that will end up 22 fret / 25.5" scale / single hum / 1 vol./ DK2 neck / black with white bevels. This is the subject:

To use the DK2 neck, the neck pocket will need to be routed closer to the bridge. In this case a neck hum was there so I just routed out a straight path. I also re-drilled the neck mounting holes to line up with the new neck placement.

Next, I cut the bevels in deeper to match up with the new neck placement, then trial fitted the neck:

Next, I trimmed the excess wood from the front of the pocket, and made trial fits with the neck plate until it was just right:

Now everything looks good as far as fit goes, so I routed out the neck pup hole, and beveled the top portion back into the wood a fair distance around the perimeter. I then put a single layer of masking tape around the base of the neck to protect it, and mounted it back on the body. A straight edge was used to double check the neck alignment before I started slinging the mud! (mud is slang for bondo for you dummies)

Now the fun begins! BONDO!!!! MMMMMM! I just worked it in there all nice and full, taking my time to get it in every crack and crevice, and making sure to fill the cavity a little "over-full":

Then after about 3 minutes I unscrewed the neck, popped it off and whammo! Instant neck pocket!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Now, using a good sanding block and some 40 grit paper, I just blocked it out until it was nice and flat. Don't get carried away here, when you start seeing wood, you're good for now.

Now it's time to do that toggle switch hole, same procedure:

Then I blocked the whole face of the guitar out with 80 grit until all is nice and flat, and trial fitted the neck once more.

That's it for now, I'll post more as I progress. (and don't laugh yet...this is going to look badass!)
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: Fun with Bondo!! ...Rhoads project

That looks aweseome so far! Keep us posted!
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Awesome work dude, I thought this type of thing would work. I mean I did get a bodyshop to paint my guitar [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cant wait to see how it progresses!

Comment

We don't use BONDO in the shop I work at. We use a SPACE AGE POLYMER FILLER [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

How long are you going to let the filler cure. With that much in it it will take some time to cure completely. Then you have to worry about shrinkage.

What cars are those in the last photo. The rocker panel on the one on the lift is looking rough. Is that a NOVA in the back ????

Comment

FATCAT, the stuff I use is even spacier than yours! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

#1. The quantity of a catylized filler actually sppeds up the curing process, so I'd be more concerned about "curing" and "shrinkage" with a light layer than with a big 'ol glob.
          To answer your question though, I'll let this cure for at least a day....maybe two.

#2. The cars are both Novas. Both pro street cars I'm doing for customers. The one on the rack (1967) is nearing completion (as far as tubs/cage/interior sheet metal/suspension/etc.), but I'm in the process of stretching the outer wheel openings 3", and doing other small fabs. It's a cool trick (the wheel openings) and makes them look oh so much better with a set of 18.5's tucked under there!
          The other one is a more serious endeavour. It's a 63, and it's getting the full deal! More on that one later.

Comment

how does that bondo thing transfer the tone ? good? bad ? wasn't it better to glue a piece of wood in there ?

Comment

Cool projects on the cars and guitar. I do love Novas I have a 69SS that's been a life long project I bought in 1976. Pass along some pics on the cars I would like to see the progress on those.

Comment

Hey FATCAT, you can see some of my work at mm-restoration.com
                Not the best website in the world, but you can at least get the jist of it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Great job! Looks like it's gonna be a winner. Can't wait to see it after it's been painted!

Comment

Daaaaauuuuummmmmm
                    Will you adopt me ???? I don't take up much space & I know how to work
                    Nice Shop, I wish I had a place like that to work on my nova. I have boxes full of stuff to use when I get a place to start working on her. I have been buying up parts and stuff for 30 years.
                    You do some good work, But in the FAQ section number 3 & 4

If you have to ask you can't afford it !!!!!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ha! I forgot about the FAQ section! That was something I started and then just kinda spaced it out! I better get to work.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Ya just got to love it

I get 6 or 8 a week, "I want an estimate to paint my (insert any vehicle at least 8 to 10 years old)"

and the the "HOW MUCH!!!!!"

Ya just got to love it

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool!! It's got that distressed camo look. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mark, that looks great. I bet it will be kick ass when it is done. Hell, it is kick ass already. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Awesome job!
                              I had to route down on the neck pocket on my EVH Star guitar in order to fit a Danelectro neck. However, I didn't have any pickup routes to fill, and I had to actually shape the heel pocket with the router. You got off easy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'd be a little concerned with shrinkage when using THAT much bondo though. There is an epoxy that alot of guys are using these days. I'm not sure exactly what it's called, but it's sold in alot of Marine (boating) supply stores.
                              Supposedly, this stuff is very durable, dries quick, and doesn't shrink.

Anyway, looks great!
                              Please keep those pics coming! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X