• Need Soldering Help!

Hey folks,

Well, I just finished another Strat mutt project. She's very cool:

-Warmoth Alder body w/ Zebrawood top
    -Customwoods Flame Maple/maple neck
    -Fralin Vintage Hot pickups w/ Bassplate
    -Brass v-trem

(Pics to follow ....)

Anyway, for the first time ever, I attempted to do the soldering myself. I had good instructions, and everything came out ok, except for this one issue....I cannot get the d@mn solder to stick to the trem claw for the ground wire!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Everytime I try, it works itself loose. Do you experienced guys have any hints on this? I apprecaite any insight you may have. Thanks.....Pics soon!!!!

-Kenn

Re: Need Soldering Help!

You need to scuff the area to be soldered. I usually just use a just use the blade of a scraping tool that came w/ my soldering set. Clean the area with a little alcohol on a Q-tip. Use flux on the area, don't just rely on the flux in the core of the solder. I was reading some tips a few weeks ago & someone also recommended drilling a small hole in the trem claw & feeding the wire through before soldering. This sounded like a pretty good idea & I may try it next time. RobRR posted a really good sticky on soldering. Check it out for more tips.

Comment

One other thing to add: most people when they first start soldering have a tendency to just melt the solder with the tip of the iron. You've got to heat the parts to be soldered & get the solder to flow where you want it. This is very easy to do on the lugs of a brand new pot, but it gets more challenging when it comes time to work on large flat areas like the back of a pot & especially the trem claw. If the solder joint looks beaded up rather than smooth & flat, it's not a good joint. Practice makes perfect.

Comment

The spring claw is always a tough one because it is a large, thin piece of metal, and acts as a heat sink. You need a decent soldering iron, with a decent amount of power to heat that sucker up enough for the solder to adhere.

Dg is write, scuff it up, clean it, flux it, heat it up, and you should be good.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try!

-Kenn

Comment

Rosin Soldering fluid will really help. You can get it at Radio Shack, but I buy mine at an industrial electronics supply. I've done it with no scuffing. As mentioned drilling a hole is a good idea. The old Fender 50's and reissue claws have an opening at the center to aid in soldering.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

There is a very good soldering tutorial on this board actually. It's stickied at the top, check it out.

Comment

Working...
              X