Kahler Tuning stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler Tuning stability

I posted one before about my guitar going out of tune every time I played something. I have a 2320 and that was probably because I had a mixed set of strings on there. So now, I've put on a whole set of matching strings from a pack, and after playing for a while, doing constant bends and such, my strings, especially the 1st and 2nd go out of tune. It goes especially out of tune when I use the whammy. I'm thinking it might have something to do w/ the nut, because for the slot where the 1st string fits in on the nut, the string won't completely fit all the way down in there... One more thing, is there any way to completely block a kahler, or take away the tremolo ability, without having to do too much modifications?

Re: Kahler Tuning stability

is your kahler older? you may just need to replace the springs. the nut does sound like a problem too because what you describe could cause the string to get stuck pretty easily.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

It's a new 2320, it used to go out of tune like no other, probably cuz I had diff. set of gauge strings on there. So now, it's got all from 1 set, and it stays in tune better, but after like 5 minutes of just playing stuff and doing buncha bends and such, the first 3 strings go out of tune, especially the 1st one. The whammy basically puts everything out of tune. So how would I go about taking it off, to inspect the springs and stuff. Also isn't there any way to block it like you could w/ a floyd?

Comment

Kahler manuals are here:

http://www.kahlerparts.com/Part_Pages/downloads.htm

Definitely address the nut issue & make sure the strings seat correctly & don't bind. I'd also check & make sure the behind-the-nut lock is working properly & get new locking plates from Budman if they are badly grooved.

Comment

I found this tip on the internet. I have tried it myself and found it to work quite well.

Copied from this site:http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

STRING CHANGING TIPS

The Kahler 2300 can be a very accurate vibrato bridge provided a few extra steps are taken during string changes. For accurate, dead-on pitch return I found that pre-bending and soldering the strings are a must.

The main friction point is the cam and you want the string to be pre-bent to match it's curvature. I bend each string over the end of my thumb to put a gentle curve at the windings. Bend the string so that the smooth side (with no obtrusions) will be towards the cam.

Notice how the bend is done with the flat sides of the ball toward the sides. See the image below:

It will help the stability of the tuning if you solder the windings on all six strings with electrical solder. This locks the winding and will prevent slippage. Only let the solder flow into the winding... don't let it creep where the string contacts the ball or upward past the winding.

It also doesn't hurt to sprinkle a little powdered graphite on the cam surface before installing the strings.

When placing the ball into the string block be sure that the "shoulder" on each side of the ball rests on it's respective side in the block. If the ball is cocked after the string has a little tension on it, push the bar down to release some of the tension and use a small hex key to manipulate the ball so that it sits evenly in the block.

Comment

Alright, I know this is kinda stupid, but I really don't want the tremolo capabilities at all anymore. Is there really any way to just block the Kahler, so that it'll be like a stop-bar? I know it won't be just so easy as a Floyd, but can something like this be done, what these guys are talking about?:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27590

Like, drilling a hole and inserting like a nut? Cuz I really can't stand tremolos anymore.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Alright, I know this is kinda stupid, but I really don't want the tremolo capabilities at all anymore. Is there really any way to just block the Kahler, so that it'll be like a stop-bar? ...

[/ QUOTE ]
              Metal bracket where the springs used to be, or replace the entire bridge with a 33xx hardtail [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

What do you mean by a metal bracket? I'm gonna probably take my guitar to a tech this weekend, so I wanna be able to tell him some shit too so. I won't go w/ the buying a new bridge method cuz I don't wanna spend money, and that'll just be too easy... I basically want to block it cuz I like going from like standard tuning, all the way down to like Db in an instant so...

Comment

Ask KMaynard...he did this to one of his kahlers. I think Budman has also fashioned a part for this procedure.

Comment

Working...
                  X