Reverse headstock restring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse headstock restring question

I may have missed the boat on this so I'm asking for help...

I just ordered and received a DKMGT with reverse headstock. I replaced the strings on it right away. However, I quickly realized that since the low E post is now at the opposite end of the headstock (reverse) I barely had enough extra string to get a good wrap. I usually like to wrap the post 3 times or so to get a good hold but I was only able to wrap the post like one and a half times. So, is there a longer string you can buy for the reverse headstocks?
    E = Fb

Re: Reverse headstock restring question

Try a different brand of string - sounds like you got took by a set that was made mostly for regular headstocks.

Or get a set of locking tuners so you don't need to use so much winding.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Every Jackson I own is reverse, and Ive never had that problem.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

That's weird. I've never had a problem either. Upon glancing at my guitars, my EXP Vandy got a good three wraps, but my other one only had about one and a half. It doesn't matter as it has a locking nut anyway. I have no idea what strings are on that one, but the one that did get three wraps are GHS boomers.

HTH

Comment

The set I put on it are Dean Markley Blue Steel brand strings.

Here's a better mental picture of what I'm dealing with...

The excess middle "core" of the string (or unwound part) has plenty of length, but I don't start wrapping the post with that part. I always wrap the post with the wound part and cut the extra off. So there's like 6 inches of the unwound string that is useless, and where the wound part starts there is barely enough. Make better sense?
          E = Fb

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Try a different brand of string - sounds like you got took by a set that was made mostly for regular headstocks.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Huh? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Makes no sense whatsoever. Any regular brand of strings should work fine. You don't need all that much wind around the post anyway.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              You don't need all that much wind around the post anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. I would say it's the core that gets stretched more anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X