POD & Hot Rod Deluxe Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POD & Hot Rod Deluxe Amp

Anyone know what the "PreAmp Out" on a Fender Hot Rod Duluxe amp is for and how to use it ?

Also, what is the best way to use a pod with this amp ???

Thanks

Re: POD & Hot Rod Deluxe Amp

Sounds like that is what the Preamp out was made for. I'm not too familiar with the HRD, but does it have an FX loop? My common sense tells me that there should be some sort of input to come back into the amp after going to the preamp, like an FX loop, except isn't the FX loop supposed to come after the preamp? Is there maybe a preamp return on it?

Comment

plug the POD into the "power amp in". that would be the return of the EFX loop.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hey hey. Pre-amp out is for recording. You can go direct in the board for recording without using a mic.
        LATER!!!
        H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

it is also the "send" of your effects loop.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

My HRD has no FX loop.

So wire going from the PODs output to the PreAmp in ??? or from the PODs input??
            Will this bypass something in the amp or amp eq ??

The manual for the amp is of no help and was just trying to figure out what the connection was used for, and if it would be a better way of useing the POD for the FX.

Comment

I was making this more complicated than it had to be, sorry.

An amp has two parts. The preamp, and power amp. The preamp has the most of the amplifier's voicing. When the amp says "preamp out", it means the sound of the amp is going out without hitting the power amp. This is useful as it allows you to plug it into a recording unit or mixer. You obviuosly can't use the speaker out for that as it is too powerful! It simply takes the sound of your amp and makes it output friendly. Think of your preamp like a distortion pedal. If you plug a speaker into the distortion pedal, you won't get much if any sound at all. When you plug it into an amplifier (the power amp so to speak) then you'll get sound.

Treat your power amp like a distortion pedal. There are some effects that you'll want to put in front of it, or behind it. That is why you have an FX loops on some amplifiers. That puts the effects in after the preamp. You wouldn't want to put a delay or reverb unit in front of a distortion box would you?

Hope that helps you and maybe makes a bit more sense.

-------

[ QUOTE ]
              Also, what is the best way to use a pod with this amp ???

[/ QUOTE ]

That really depends man. If you're using the Pod for just effects, you might just be screwed. Some effects will not work before the preamp (will not work as in will sound horrible. Usually not destructive to the amp or effect unit). If you're using it as the amp modeler it was meant to be, patch into the pod then your amplifier on the clean channel. Let the pod handle the distortion settings. The pod is a preamp really. In fact, it is what you might call a multipreamp. It has the sounds of many different amps on it. Every amp you plug into has a different voice. Your amp will somewhat color the tones of the POD. All in all, the POD will come pretty close. It will sound slightly different plugged into different kinds of amps though, just FYI.

Comment

Thanks for the help

I guess I was wondering if there was a way around the preamp on this thing.
                It has 2 Inputs, a preamp out, a power amp in, 1 foot switch connection and a manual thats just crap.

Thanks again.

Comment

use the power amp in. plug from the output of the POD into the "power amp in". that will bypass the preamp of the hotrod and let you use the power stage and speaker.

trust me, the "preamp out" is your EFX send, and the "power amp in" is the EFX return. WHY fender called it that is beyond me.
                  GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    My HRD has no FX loop.

[/ QUOTE ]

As others have said already, yes it does.

Pre-amp out = send to effects loop.
                    Power-amp in = return from effects loop.

Plug the output of the POD into the Power-amp in.

Comment

Working...
                    X