Neck-thru
    EMG 707's
    Jackson Floyd

Abyss specs;
    Mahagony body
    Mahagony neck (Neck-thru)
    EMG 707's
    Tunomatic bridge

The Abyss sounds like a cannon compared to the Jackson. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    The Jackson sounds great, but just not as 'in your face' loud and heavy as the Abyss... It's not just a volume problem..., Could it be the bridge? I am baffled by this...
    Hardware: all black, all the time.

Re: How do I get some more \'beef\' out of my CS Jackson

Odd. The neck material is a huge factor. I was playing some lesters, and the maple necked 1980 Standard was the cannon? Go figure.

The trem would definitely have an impact as well.

Fretboard material - the Jackson is ebony (bright), is the Abyss rosewood (warmer)?

String sizes the same?

Comment

Re: How do I get some more \'beef\' out of my CS Jackson

<font color="red"> Non-trem man,it's always gonna sound "beefier"!! </font>

Comment

Re: How do I get some more \'beef\' out of my CS Jac

+1 on the trem. how do you expect to match the heaviness of a guitar where the strings are going through the body, compared to a guitar where the strings are floating in the air?

Comment

Its the trem bro. At one time I had both an Ibanez RG7621 and an RG7620. They are the identical 7 string guitars except one has a Floyd and the other is string thru. The string thru model was 10 times more in your face than the Floyded one.

Comment

If you don't like the CS Jackson, Give it to me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It could be that the Abyss has a Mahogany neck, whilst the Jackson has a Maple neck. Maple and Mahogany necks really impact the way a guitar sounds, as well as the body etc

Both guitars look damn sweet. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            93 USA Soloist EDS
            USA HT6 Juggernaut
            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Maple neck + ebony board = brighter tone than mahogany + rosewood.

Get some better pickups [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ok, so, it's the bridge... Can I 'beef up the tone' without any effects? (I play straight into a Marshall / Mesa Boogie combo team...)

Yes, same strings, both ebony necks...

Comment

Get an EQ pedal and kick up the lows/low mids when you use the J.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I say Cram a Slim Jim in the input Jack, Just a thought but i've been wrong before [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm with Newc try different pick ups.
                    According To The Prophecy

Comment

I just noticed your useing Emg 707's wich model 707 are they if you have the 707, or the 707 81 they are probably the problem for you you might need to special order the 707-85's for the tone your looking for. I've used all 3 types the 707-85 is the way to go.
                      If not I say SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM Oh Yeah!!!
                      According To The Prophecy

Comment

Dude, I've got a DKMG and a DKMGT. Same everything except for the bridge configuration. The Floyd one is more brash and in-your-face than the hardtail, which has a beefier, warmer tone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bob

Comment

Will the 707-85 plug right into the existing electronics with the 707's? (I know EMG's have plugs on 'em...) Or will I have to re-wire it as well...???

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I just noticed your useing Emg 707's wich model 707 are they if you have the 707, or the 707 81 they are probably the problem for you you might need to special order the 707-85's for the tone your looking for. I've used all 3 types the 707-85 is the way to go.
                            If not I say SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM Oh Yeah!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so you guyz know, (and I'm sure you were sitting on the edge of your chairs...), I went with the 81-7; HUGE difference!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            Many thanks!!!

Comment

Dude, I can't wait to see your CS KV7. Any update on it's arrival?
                              www.WarCurse.com

Comment

Working...
                              X