Tone Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Question

can anyone give me their opinion on whether an original floyd rose has a deeper tone than the jackson schaller floyd?

Thanks, Dave

Re: Tone Question

I don't think it will do a thing for the tone.

Some will say the OFR will produce better sustain than the Schaller, but I haven't noticed any difference in the 2 as far as tone or sustain.
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Some people claim that the Schaller has a more mellow tone than the OFR, but although I own both I haven't been able to verify.

Comment

I have two RR's - one a 1992 with a Schaller, and an OFR in a 1995. I think the pickups are making a lot bigger difference (J80, J90C + midboost vs. a pair of OEM Bill Lawrence USA's).

Comment

I have read Floyd uses harder steel than the other manufactures.
          And I have read their springs are 25% stiffer.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

If anything, I think it's the opposite. I've switched around between an OFR & JT-590 on a few different guitars & the Floyd always sounds brighter to me. I think the hardened steel vs. diecast baseplate makes the difference. It's more noticeable acoustically than through the amp, imo.

Comment

Thanks for the response everyone. I have a 1988 Dinky bolt on that has a OFR and a 1989 Soloist with the Jackson Schaller and the OFR has a beefier tone then my soloist. And both guitars are loaded with the same pickup, which is a Duncan Distortion.

I was thinking about swapping out the trems to see if there was a difference, but I thought I'd get some opinions from the jcf faithful first.

Thanks, Dave

Comment

I remember when I seen suffocation live one of their guitarists had a bone nut before the locking to improve the tone on open notes, sounds abit overkill to me...

I've always been impartial to the OFR, I stay with the classics.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Thanks for the response everyone. I have a 1988 Dinky bolt on that has a OFR and a 1989 Soloist with the Jackson Schaller and the OFR has a beefier tone then my soloist. And both guitars are loaded with the same pickup, which is a Duncan Distortion.

I was thinking about swapping out the trems to see if there was a difference, but I thought I'd get some opinions from the jcf faithful first.

Thanks, Dave

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I'd guess that the sound difference you are hearing has more to do with bolt-on vs. neck-thru. On the bolt-on guitar, the body wood should have a greater impact on the sound than it does in the neck-thru.

Comment

Schaller/Dinky combo has a "heavier" tone in my opinion. I may sell my soloist and get another dinky. I just like the sound of bolt-ons better. They just seem to have more balls to me. The OFR also sounds tinny compared to the Schaller.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I'd guess that the sound difference you are hearing has more to do with bolt-on vs. neck-thru. On the bolt-on guitar, the body wood should have a greater impact on the sound than it does in the neck-thru.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i would have thought just the opposite would be the case. that the neck-thru would have more beefier sound than a bolt-on. this is my first neck-thru jackson. thanks sunbane!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i would have thought just the opposite would be the case. that the neck-thru would have more beefier sound than a bolt-on. this is my first neck-thru jackson. thanks sunbane!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Comparing a neck-thru to a bolt-on is like apples to oranges. That has a much bigger impact than OFR vs. Lic. Floyd Rose. Swap the two bridges and see if there is a difference in tone.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          LOL! Comparing a neck-thru to a bolt-on is like apples to oranges. That has a much bigger impact than OFR vs. Lic. Floyd Rose. Swap the two bridges and see if there is a difference in tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll do that. it might be a while, cuz i play out with the dinky (bolt-on) with OFR fairly often and i'm not sure i want to chance it sounding light crap for a few gigs.

Comment

Of the 5 Jacksons I have 2 have OFR's and the 3 have Schallers. 3 are identical with the exception to one having the OFR and I notice no difference in tone or playability between them.
                            Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

My experience has been that any FR with hardened steal sounds brighter than one with hardened inserts like a Schaller.
                              [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bob

Comment

Working...
                              X