The EVHII Holy Grail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EVHII Holy Grail

The whole thing begin on a rumour among collectors, also due to some things found in Grover Jacksons stuff, such a receipts and work orders,. Supposedly EVH was under some kind of deal with Jackson before or after he sued Jackson for infringing his trademark guitar. EVH definitely had 2 black and yellow Holy Grail guitars. No where can you get one of these any longer to the same exact specs tha ED had when he used his Back on the VHII tour. He always had many guitars and it would not make since for such a guitar enthusiast superstar player to go with only 2 trade mark guitars. Look at how many Kramers he had, when they beat out Jackson on an Endorsement deal,. I think he had a total of six. Some waiting at the factory and some in house already. But when the deal fell thru for Jackson - the left over guitars were ditributed to the public sales venue.

Re: The EVHII Holy Grail

[img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

So no-one has knowledge about the other 4 (3?) guitars, and what they were? More B&Y striped jobs? Different finishes? Very curious.

Comment

Yes there are people who should know, of course, Grover Jackson, EVH or JoAnne Jackson possibly some Roadies or other Hush Hush collectors trying to find the HG of all guitars of all time and space LOL. JoAnne delivered the first one to EVH during the Photo shoot of the VHII album.
        Here is a pic of Ed playing another one at home with Val on an Entertainment Tonight Segment.

A possible 3rd one can be seen at Rockwalk.com in a 360 photo supposedly donate by EVH to them.

Although there have been collectors who believe they saw this one for sale in the LA area at a Guitar Shop?

Comment

For what its worth, I know of a Pre Pro owned by the former Front Man Marq Torein of the BULLET BOYS who had one made in 1980. In fact I have access to video where he is playing it. So I think there were more, we OBVIOUSLY havent seen or heard nor can account for every single one. Just my .02Cents.

[ December 09, 2002, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: 1979Charvel ]

Comment

I don't own any SD Charvels, but I do remember seeing one of these in down town San Diego back in like 1984. It was in a small custom shop, but I can't remember the name of the place. it's closed now, but the guy who owned the place let us see it after asking us kids if we were EVH fans. It looked just like the 3D one above, but had a brass bridge and nut. I didn't get to touch it though. He kind of didn't want our chubby little fingers all over it. None of us could play very well anyway. Could that be one of them? I can't recall ever seeing Eddy with a brass nut installed on any of his axes. It could have been a production model or custom order Charvel. They weren't as collectable back then anyway. Maybe that guy was Ed Roman? Scary!

Comment

The guitarist for Rick James had one in the early 80s with a rosewood board on it.

Comment

Many Pre Serialized EVH Graphics were made, but the information gathered - showed that there were maybe as many as 5 or 6 guitars made for Eddie (possibly with Floyd upgrades etc.) Eddie recieved at least a couple of these, if not all? Then it seems that there were some issues Eddie had with Grover? So far we can only find info on the 2 or 3.
                Here is a picture of guitarist for Rick James, on stage (Same stripes as EVH),.

Here is a picture of my PrePro (not the same stripes as EVH)

Comment

even if these 3 or 4 grails never made it eddie i would think by now they have been lost in the shuffle. there not serial#'d & so many charvels have been re-finished & modded , if it were could anyone ever tell it was a EVH-HG

Comment

There are many, many ways to tell a Orginial Pre Serailized Charvel from a Fake.
                    Even though these were not serialzed they did have work orders and numbers and there are some documents with assoicated numbers on them. Hard to get info but it can and has been done. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    Jackson/Charvel only got to make about 50 pre pros VHs the had to stop production, although the did continue to make a few on request in the serialized phase. Probably only 100 pre pro and serialized combined. Maybe more like 75.

As for Eddie's
                    I've seen work order cards with numbers and addressed to Edward Van Halen - which is scratched through and readdressed to Veneman´s Music Emporium. The only people that could tell us the story is JoAnne Jackson, Grover Jackson and/or Edward Van Halen himself. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

[ December 10, 2002, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Hossman ]

Comment

Let's get in touch with Eddie- He's not doing much these days [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] , is he?Neddi
                      www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Comment

Hossman, I personally believe there were only 6 EVH IIs built. I believe none of the ones built for EVH were plated and numbered. I also believe that the ones made that were to be given to EVh had eratic striping ( meaning there were no 2 striped the exact same way ). This may not hold much water, but, here is some things that I have found out through talking to collectors and seen with my own eyes. A while back...I had that Pre-pro EVII. The neck pocket and/or neck had this written inside: the work order number and "B+Y 6"....meaning Black and yellow #6. The neck pocket was painted. I got my hands on a Pre-Pro EVH I...the black and white one. Only thing in the neck pocket was the work order #. The neck pocket was not painted. After talking to a collector ( I promised not to mention his name), he states he has a EVH II that WAS EVH's. He said his neck pocket/neck had the work order # and B+Y 1. His neck pocket was also painted. His was identical to mine in every way ( maple board with rosewood dots, brass side markers, GuitarMan trem, Dimarzio, even those goofy Octagon shaped tuners). This certain individial lives on the West Coast and has tons of cash.....making me think he has/had connections and is willing to spend mad $$$$ on something that he can verify. My thought is that the guitars that were supposed to be shipped to EVH himself, all had painted neck pockets, all had the work order # and the writing " B+Y" and the sequence number written in the pocket and none of them were plated. They were maybe saving the plates for guitars to be bought by regular customers. The striping betweenthem were all different. The one I had, seemed to have the most unique striping out of all the EVH II I have seen. Remember, this is all just my theory and I am going off of info shared to me by someone that I dont know real well personally ,but, they seemed to make since at the time.-Lou
                        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

1979 CHARVEL,
                          i might be doing a demo with marq from the bullet boys, nothing special, just some tunes i wrote.
                          i will ask him about the one you were talking about and get back to you.
                          tommy
                          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Charvel re-routed the neck pockets after they were painted. This was so that they could get the neck angle right, and so the neck would fit tightly. I believe they had two jigs. One for painted necks and one for oiled necks.

If a guitar has paint on the inside of the neck pocket the neck would not fit. This would mean they would have to have routed the neck pocket bigger before it was painted.

I personally would be very suspicious of any guitar like that. Charvel could certainly do it. The question would be, why would they do it?

-eric

Comment

EVERY vh2 guitar ive seen by eddie had the same stripe pattern, at least 3 different guitars

thats all i know, except i cant understand why charvel would go back and rout after a paintjob....it would be too much trouble and scratch the paint.....easier to just mask

Comment

Working...
                              X