Anyone else have this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have this problem?

I just bought an SL2H and last night I was giving it a good workout and I noticed something with the nut. It's not perfectly centered and when fretting the high E at the first 2 or 3 frets the string slips right off.

Seems like an easy enough fix, but wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what you did to fix it.
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Re: Anyone else have this problem?

How close is the high E to the edge of the fretboard ? This is quite normal, some fret profiles allow the string to slip more easily than others...

Comment

You may have to replace the nut. I like adequate spacing on the side for pulloffs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bob

Comment

The nut is the right size you can see where it was screwed down just a little off, but just enough off to push the high E over too far to make fretting a little difficult.

I haven't looked into it yet, but I'm about to go out now and switch the pickups out, so I will see about moving that nut over just a hair while I'm at. I just hope it's not the trussrod in the way.

Comment

I've got one like that, and I doubt there's enough room to move it over without filling the mounting holes and redrilling them, because it's only off literally a hair.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

try this for kicks and see if it helps:

- take the nut off and see if it's an R4.
            - swap it with an R3 (same nut width, tighter string spacing)

or you can take the nut off, dowel the holes and redrill them. you may also be able to move it by loosening the screws, shift the nut over, then tighten. then again, you may run the risk of enlarging the screw holes over time, though.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="red"> Sully is absolutely right,get a size smaller Floyd lock-nut,if it's an R4 get an R3,it'll pull the E-strings in just a bit & solve the slip off problem!! </font>

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                try this for kicks and see if it helps:

- take the nut off and see if it's an R4.
                - swap it with an R3 (same nut width, tighter string spacing)

or you can take the nut off, dowel the holes and redrill them. you may also be able to move it by loosening the screws, shift the nut over, then tighten. then again, you may run the risk of enlarging the screw holes over time, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I was going to do is take a tooth pick, cut to the depth of the hole, then take that and cut it in half long ways with a razor blade, slip each half in the holes then screw the nut back on which would shift the nut over just slightly.

On the low E side you can see a slight space from the edge of the nut slot and the nut and on the high E side you see the nut hanging over the edge, but as Newc said, just a hair. Just enough to make a difference.

I didn't have a spare nut to switch out so I couldn't try that.

Comment

Something with a similar sympton like this happened to me on one of my bolt on basses once, it's probably not what's wrong with yours but reminded me of it. I thought my nut had come loose and slipped because all my strings were off center now and when I fretted the top string it tended to slide off the finger board. After I screwed around with my nut I noticed my neck joint screws were a little loose and the neck had shifted in the pocket a little.

I should mention this was my first bolt on instrument. So after I put the neck back were it was supposed to be and tightened it up I put the nut back where IT was supposed to be and everything was fine. Taught me a valuable lesson that it isn't always what is obvious at the time, although it should have been obvious. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Something with a similar sympton like this happened to me on one of my bolt on basses once, it's probably not what's wrong with yours but reminded me of it. I thought my nut had come loose and slipped because all my strings were off center now and when I fretted the top string it tended to slide off the finger board. After I screwed around with my nut I noticed my neck joint screws were a little loose and the neck had shifted in the pocket a little.

I should mention this was my first bolt on instrument. So after I put the neck back were it was supposed to be and tightened it up I put the nut back where IT was supposed to be and everything was fine. Taught me a valuable lesson that it isn't always what is obvious at the time, although it should have been obvious. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. Definitely not the same problem. This is a neck thru.

Good idea to check for the bolt-ons though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

One of my KV4s was like that. The locking nut was hanging off the side of the neck by almost a millimetre. It was obviously like that from new. I drilled and dowelled the existing screw holes, and relocated the nut to where it should have been. Problem solved.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I'm guessing that nuts can only be "screwed off" on locking nuts?

[ QUOTE ]
                        it isn't always what is obvious at the time, although it should have been obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ima getting that feeling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I'm guessing that nuts can only be "screwed off" on locking nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since locking nuts are made of metal, they are scewed on because glue won't really hold them.
                          Graphite, bone, plastic, etc regular nuts are glued on (and many times have small pegs on them as well) because they're generally not big enough for a screw to pass through them without weakening the nut.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Gotcha. That does make sense.

Comment

Working...
                            X