Charvel Neck Contour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Neck Contour

Does anyone know the neck contour measurements for the Fort Worth Charvels?

Re: Charvel Neck Contour

Don't know if this is will help, but I'll give it a shot. If it's thickness you mean, here are some measurements at the 3rd & 12th fret for my Ft. Worth era imports:

loose neck from Model 2 or 3: .78" at 3rd, .875" at 12th. Most people say that these were very consistent. If so, this should be about what you can expect for most Model Series bolt-ons. I've only played a few of these necks, so I'm no authority, but they felt very much the same to me. Comfortable, fast, sorta thin but not super-thin.

Model 7: .75" at 3rd, .85" at 12th. Even though this neck measures thinner, it feels chunkier to me because the backshape stays a little more thick toward the edges. Hard to put in words, but this is why feel is more important than numbers, imo. I would have sworn this was the thickest neck if I hadn't measured it. Overall, this just feels like a more traditional neck & less of a shredder to me.

Model 6 (neckthrough): .77" at 3rd, .875" at 12th. These supposedly varied a bit, & I've heard a few people say that the '86 Models had thinner necks. Mine's an '87.

750XL (set neck): .78" at 3rd, .90" at 12th. Again, the word on these is that they varied. I've never heard anyone say they thought theirs had a really thin neck, though. It's got some chunk to it, but I love it & it plays great.

for comparison:

USA SL1 catalog spec is .790" at 3rd, .850" at 12th

USA DK1 catalog spec is .750" at 3rd, .810" at 12th (which is also exactly the measurements I get from my '05 USA Charvel)

Fretboard radius on all of them but the Model 7 is compound 10" - 16". Pretty sure the Model 7 is 12" standard. It's noticeably less flat in the upper range.

Comment

Working...
    X