Oiled Necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oiled Necks

I'm about to put a guitar together with a finished neck. I'd like to strip it down and oil it... My question is what kind of oil does Jackson use and how is an oiled neck maintained?
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Re: Oiled Necks

Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil (Gunstock oil) available at sporting good stores. Maintenance-You can just put more oil on and buff it (with 0000 synthetic "Steel wool" or a suede leather strap, the back side of a soft leather guitar strap is good)or BC Tru oil has a package that includes a wax.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

is it possible to add a color pigment to the oil to give it color?

Comment

As for adding pigment, as long as your going darker, it would probably work, if your trying to dye your rosewood board to look like a strawberry, goodluck. Oiled necks need to be oiled AT MOST annually. If your fretboard looks dry and flaky, go ahead and oil it lightly. However, over-oiling your fretboard will certainly have a negative effect. You can oversaturate the wood and loosen the frets...

The best maintenece that you can preform on a guitar is to rock out on it on a frequent basis and to just wipe it off afterwards!! Stradovarious violins worht millions of dollars have caretakers whose job is to play them regularly to keep them in top shape!!

Comment

Thanks for the answers. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't want my fretboards looking like strawberries, [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but I do dye them black. I use the same oil based dye Gibson and PRS uses to touch up their ebony boards. It dyes rosewood very well.

Comment

I would go with Gunstock oil. Nothing fancy..Keep it simple. Tung Oil is good too, but that feels a little more like a painted neck.

slevy007

Comment

Working...
            X