Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on drilling an already finished body

Folks:

If you drill a pickup cavity on an already finished body, will that ruin the finish and require a body re-finish?

Re: Question on drilling an already finished body

Depends on the type of finish.
    Also... what "tool" is being used to route the new pickup cavity.
    It can be done with little to no damage to the surrounding finish.
    -Rick

Comment

If you know how to handle a router correctly it shouldn't be a problem. I've seen people use masking tape over the area they are routing out, it helps keep the lines cleaner.

Comment

I would also suggest that you scribe the exact shape of the new rout with an xacto knife as well... this will reduce the chance of a finish crack or chip going outside the area being routed.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Little tip: Drill through the finish with the drill in REVERSE. This allows it to pierce through the finish with out the wood being forced up through the "veins" on the bit and tearing up the finish.-Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Some nice tips here. You learn a few new things every day.
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Econ, i've done several routing jobs on thick guitar finishes and never had one single chip. And i've even used a pretty cheap router with low quality bits without any problems.
              I think the most important thing is to make the first pass VERY shallow (depth max. 1mm) and to work VERY slow when moving the router around - using a template of course. Once i have the perimeter routed out (only through the paint + a little wood) i continue with the "center" part of the cavity and stay away from the perimeter until the very end. Hard to describe. Just follow this rule: when routing close to the perimeter of your hole, reduce the load on the router bit to a minimum.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Great tips. Too make things go real smooth, I "pre-drill" out most of the wood with a 3/8" diameter brad-point drill bit. Just make sure your depth includes the point. Then routing is a breeze even with generic bits. I use the StewMac router bits and bearings.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Masking tape, a good template, several shallow passes (lower speed on the first pass) is always the order of the day. IMHO paint chips almost always occur because of impatience and carelessness.

Comment

Working...
                  X