Calling All Floyd Routing Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling All Floyd Routing Experts

I got this 1 Pc. White Korina body from Musikraft and I had asked for Floyd routing for the bridge at the time of ordering. I used my handy dandy StewMac template for laying out the pivot post locations and the top Trem opening seems to be in the wrong place. (Too far back) (The pivot posts are 25" back from the nut according to the StewMac and other guitars I have measured) Is the Floyd supposed to be the same as the Vintage Trem opening or different? Maybe they just put a vintage trem routing in the top? The opening is in the correct location for a vintage Fender according to the factory Fender drawings. Maybe Musikraft goofed and put a vintage Trem routing on this body and not the Floyd I requested?

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Re: Calling All Floyd Routing Experts

Anybody with a non-recessed Floyd on their Charvel might know.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I don't know if I read this right, but, if your pivot point is at 25" on a 25.5" scale, that would be about right. Your saddles will sit back anywhere from 3/8"-9/16".

Now, if it is the offset of the trem posts to the routing that is your issue ( as in the picture ). I am wondering if they just used the wrong template. Your template is off more to the front than it is at the rear. It may just be an issue where the route needs opened up more. -Lou
      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Yes it is a 25-1/2" Scale. You are correct and 25" is what StewMac has in their directions for the posts. I checked my Jackson's with Floyds and they are at 25".
        Your second point is dead on and that's the issue. It looks as though they used the wrong template or CNC program and routed a "Vintage" trem opening. Boy, I have more problems with Musikraft than you can imagine.

Comment

Looks like they goofed to me.

Comment

Slash,
            I did some more investigating. It IS for a vintage tremolo. You'll notice that it is 1/4" back from where the Floyd rout is supposed to be! Damn and I spent 20 hrs. finishing the thing with Danish oil! Crapola! Well, I'll see what Musikraft will do Monday morning. Man I'm pissed, first the neck, then the body. On top of all this, they messed up another body and I still have another neck on order! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Oh well live and learn!

Comment

Since you already have a template, wouldn't it be easiest to just route the front portion of the opening? Looks like the rear will only be about 1/8" too big. I would think that 1/8" would never be noticeable.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

You will probably be better off routing it yourself. If you were not so far from me I would do it for you. If you are carefull it shouldn't mess up your finish [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I can do the routing no problem, but I will have a 1/8" gap behind the bridge. Or, I can mount it 1/4" back in the stock vintage trem location and move the saddles to the forward holes. I really don't want either so I probably will return this one or keep this one for a vintage trem and order another. Jim at Musikraft emailed me today (pretty fast) and will be checking with the shop tomorrow on what exactly happened to my order. They want to do it right, but they keep goofing up everything they send me.

Comment

How many things have they sent you goofed up?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      How many things have they sent you goofed up?

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Everything they send me! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I just recently been ordering from them. I've got 3 bodies that are incorrect. 2 of them were redone. 1 neck that I spent 8 hrs finishing the wood work and filing and finishing the fret ends. I have one neck on order and I'm crossing my fingers! I just got a bunch of stuff in from Warmoth and they are perfect as usual (bolt 'er on and play.) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      Musikraft wants to make it right, but I have to send back what I get from them the first time.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I can do the routing no problem, but I will have a 1/8" gap behind the bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the extra 1/8" gap will actually be UNDER the bridge, behind the spring block. You're thinking that it's going to be visible? I doubt seriously anyone would ever notice it unless you pull off the bridge and show them. (or am I missing something here?)
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

It's behind the bridge. I'll post some pics. My rechargeable batteries died (both sets) Otherwise, I would have posted them. You can see the gap at the rear of the trem plate on the whammy bar side. It's hardly noticable on the Low "E" side of the bridge plate.

Comment

Working...
                          X