High e breaks all the time, JT6 locknut problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High e breaks all the time, JT6 locknut problem

Yep I broke another high e today. That's two in two days... I use .11s tuned to standard, so they should be able to withstand the tension pretty well. The guitar is a Charvel model 4, 25.5'' scale. The string breaks just after the machinehead, in er... air. However I noticed a burr on the locknut where the high e string touches the sides of it to get the proper angle under the locking block and to the nut. Could this be the cause? I was thinking of sticking a little wooden stick like a toothpick there to get a smoother angle and to allow the high e to be more at the center of the locking block. Has anyone encountered this before?

Re: High e breaks all the time, JT6 locknut problem

Most likely you have a sharp edge on the locking pad.Take the nut off and remove the pad and see if there is a sharp edge>if so take a small file and smooth the edges that make contact with the string.The sharp edge may also be on the housing itself so check there as well.Hope this helps.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yes there IS a burr on the housing, but it's not where the string breaks at all. If there was a sharp edge sharp enough to cause problems, wouldn't the string break there..?

Comment

As you tune the string to pitch, it's probably scraping that burr, weakening it. I'd try smoothing that burr and see if the problem goes away. The JT6 doesn't bother me nearly as bad as that crap-ass locknut does!

Pete

Comment

Re: High e breaks all the time, JT6 locknut proble

Try filing the nut to get it smooth, then check your saddles on the bridge to see if any of them have sharp edges, I can't begin to estimate how many strings that cost me before I caught that problem! they kept breaking, sometimes even 10 seconds after restringing.

Lastly I'd just run my fingers over each fret to see if they aren't disproportionally sharp.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I checked this, it's all ok, but there WAS a burr and I did smooth it out. I put a .10 there and it didn't break woot! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ass cool as it sounds, quit bending that string so damn far [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just kidding...

Matt

Comment

Its best never to assume anything when working on a guitar.If it looks like it might be a problem fix it.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yep I did... well I think [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It didn't feel like the new string was about to break and it didn't.

Comment

Working...
                  X