Broken Schaller saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Schaller saddle

I was replacing the strings on my schaller floyd and the saddle on the high e string broke into two pieces. Is this common? Are the saddles from an OFR the same and just the locking screw is longer? I have one on a guitar I don't use and could borrow it until I can find a replacement. Also a little brass looking tab of metal fell out as well that I've never seen before on an OFR, is this a shim of some sort? Thanks for any advice.

Re: Broken Schaller saddle

The brass tab is your saddle insert, which sits between the locking screw and the string. I've had these break on older trems, usually Schallers now that I think about it. I've never had the actual saddle break.

I believe an OFR saddle will fit. If you have one to test, go for it. However, newer licensed trems use a longer saddle that will NOT fit. I ordered a replacement saddle from AllParts that they claim is a direct OFR replacement, and it was too long.
    sigpic

Comment

The brass thing that fell out isn't the small metal block with the dimple that the locking screw pushs against the string but it's much much thinner, similar to brass shim stock you would find in a hardware store. Actually that's probably what it is, I just don't know where it was. It had to be under the saddle or totally hidden because I've never seen it before. Do you mean it goes under the saddle insert? Is it maybe some kind of saddle shim? I might take one of the others off and see if I can find another one.

Comment

The little brass shim goes directly under the string lock block.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Oh, that makes sense. Without it the little string block thing would just fall down. Duh, I should have thought of that. Thanks guys.

Comment

I took a saddle of an OFR and replaced the longer string locking screw with the shorter one from the Schaller and it worked fine.

Comment

Working...
            X