Soldering help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering help

I have trouble soldering wires to smooth surfaces such as the back of a pot...the wire and solder just don't stick to the surface. Any ideas?

Re: Soldering help

You need to scratch the back of the cover to get past the plating. You can scratch the surface with an exacto blade or a dremel grinder/cutter.

Make sure you are using normal electric rosin core solder also as the rosin core helps prepare the surfaces and enables the solder to stick better.

Comment

Also, using a little flux on the surface you're soldering to works wonders! Flux is a paste-like substance that allows the solder to adhere better.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Your not using enough heat... pickup a better iron, and some flux while your at it.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I use a 30W iron and have the same trouble.

I just got one of those Cold Heat irons the other day, but have nothing to solder at the moment [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc,

I wanted to get one of those. Try it out and let me know if it works. My fear it that it won't have enough power to solder anything large, just like the back of a pot, or the trem spring claw.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I just got one of those Cold Heat irons the other day, but have nothing to solder at the moment [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

RETURN IT!!! Its complete J-U-N-K. Its not a real soldering iron! As youll soon find out, it melts solder by using an electric ark to heat up the solder... only problem is, it doesnet work for shit, will ruin delectate electronics, doesent physically heat up so you cant solder anything on to a contorl pot, and the tip is extremely fragile and will break after a few uses.

Give it a try, then come tell me how right I am as your repackaging it to return it and get your $20 back. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RETURN IT!!! Its complete J-U-N-K. Its not a real soldering iron! As youll soon find out, it melts solder by using an electric ark to heat up the solder... only problem is, it doesnet work for shit, will ruin delectate electronics, doesent physically heat up so you cant solder anything on to a contorl pot, and the tip is extremely fragile and will break after a few uses.

Give it a try, then come tell me how right I am as your repackaging it to return it and get your $20 back. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right. There are only a few substances that can heat up that quick and be able to touch them right after and not get burned. They use one of them for tiles on the Space Shuttle. You can heat them up to glowing orange and pick them up with your bare hands. Only problem is they won't transfer the heat energy to be able to do anything like solder.

Matt

Comment

I got a "Cold Heat" also for X-mass.
                  I gave it a go and then threw it in the back of my junk drawer.
                  Why? Because it's junk.

Comment

Working...
                  X