Removing paint from a charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing paint from a charvel

If this has been discussed anywhere else on here please send me the link as I hate subject repeats as much as everyone else.

Does anyone have any links specifically relating to the proper way of stripping the paint of a guitar? I have a pair of 1980's import Charvels (one a strat in need of anew pick guard) and one of the single pickup with the crappy soft metal floyd rose. Anyway i wanted to strip the paint of both of them as they both look like hell currently.

And if anyone knows someone in California who does custom paint jobs, could you send me their link as well? I really want to have the one done in Bengal Tiger.

Thanks
    -Jerry
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Re: Removing paint from a charvel

The tutorials on this site are pretty good & cover most of the important points. They show sanding, chemical, & heat gun methods.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial5.htm

Comment

If you feel up to it this site has a book that shows you how to paint your own bengal. I plan on using his techniques for my guitar project mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

Comment

The 80's Charvels had an excellent poly primer from the factory, and I wouldn't mess with stripping it off. Stripping it all the way to the wood will cost you more time and money in the long run, and the quality of the final finish won't be any better. (unless of course you're going with a natural finish, but I doubt that with basswood)
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I will also add that if you strip the paint off of your Model Series Charvel, the guitar will be smaller [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, I just stipped the paint down to the wood on a Model Series body and I swear that the paint was 1/4" thick on that guitar. Clear coat, color coat, and what looked like 3 or 4 primer coats.

The finish is also hard as nails. I used a very strong paint stripper and barely made any progress at first. Just know that if you choose to strip it to the wood, it's not a quick process.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I will also add that if you strip the paint off of your Model Series Charvel, the guitar will be smaller [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, I just stipped the paint down to the wood on a Model Series body and I swear that the paint was 1/4" thick on that guitar. Clear coat, color coat, and what looked like 3 or 4 primer coats.

The finish is also hard as nails. I used a very strong paint stripper and barely made any progress at first. Just know that if you choose to strip it to the wood, it's not a quick process.

[/ QUOTE ]
            +1 Amen to That!
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

How often do i have to tell you? Strip it by hand! :-)
              Razor blades are your friend - if you're careful.
              Check this oldie out... there's a lot of paint strippin' info in this little thread: brutal mod
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I wish I could have seen how it turned out. I saw the before and start of the scraping but not the finished product. Most of the links are dead now 2 years later.

Comment

I remember that one. It came out killer! Henrik, long time no see! You should be posting pics of your house restoration. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah Henrik, long time no see.
                    How did your house come out.
                    As I recall you had just moved in.
                    Are you all settled in?
                    Finn

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm fine with it being smaller. I won't be removing the paint, the lady who's doing the paint job said she can do it. We shall see. Yeah I have a model 1b(?) that has a chip in the paint and it's like quarter inch of paint between top and wood.(ok not that thick but it almost looks it) Mayhaps I should just buy a Warmoth body if it'll fit my charvel neck. just hang the charvel body on the wall as 'art'
                      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Hi guys!
                        I'm sorry the old link not showing the pictures. I guess my old internet provider finally deleted my old account, that explains the dead links.
                        Right now i'm working on my own site, where the thread about the restoration of the Fernandes will be resurrected. Other guitar related info and old threads are already there, so you might want to take a look at

www.audiozone.dk

It's made in Publisher and will probably look like shite in your browser - i need to learn a better html program.

The house is allright, thanks for asking, but it will be quite some time before it is finished. I'm sorry to have kinda hijacked this thread, but hey.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I wish i had more time on my hands to talk to you guys, i sure miss your posts.

Finn, how are you my friend, i hope you're doing fine?

dg, if i remember correctly, did you not start stripping a Charvel a while back? And thinking about doing some major mods to it? I better go search for that thread.

see you...
                        Henrik

Comment

<font color="aqua">Hi Henrik, hope all is well, my friend!! I can help here:

</font>
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Those are sick large pictures, man... you're killing my dialup! Where did you get 'em anyway? HELLO DAVE! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] I'm fine thank you, i hope you are too!
                            Henrik

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Those are sick large pictures, man... you're killing my dialup! Where did you get 'em anyway? HELLO DAVE! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] I'm fine thank you, i hope you are too!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I'm doing great, bro and those pics were the ones you sent me for my site- [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
                              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                              X