Shipping a guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a guitar

I'm not sure if this would belong in here but...I'm gonna be shipping a guitar out to someone, and I don't have a case or gigbag for the guitar. I've got a box for it to fit in so far. How should I package it? I was thinking wrap the whole guitar in styrofoam, and then should I fill the whole box up with the styrofoam peanuts, or any other methods? And anything else besides loosening the strings?

Re: Shipping a guitar

bubble wrap will work bettet than styrofoam peanuts.

You don't want the guitar to be able to move at all, so a good rule of thumb is if everything fits and the box can be closed, you didn't pack it enough.

Comment

An important thing is to wrap the guitar in something that gives it some support in the middle. (I've had guitars wrapped just in bubble wrap and then thrown in large box with peanuts and it arrived with neck snapped in half as there was no support in the center of the box).

Your mention of wraping the guitar in styrofoam would be a good start, but I suggest adding support so the guitar won't "bend in the middle". What I've done is take an old cardboard box and cut it into strips about 4 to 5" wide and about 3 feet long. I then stack about 4 of these strips side by side and tape them together with packing tape. When done, you'll have a 4-5" wide, 3 foot long strip that is about 1/2" to 3/4" thick. I tape one each of these to each side of whatever I wrap the guitar into. These strips are pretty sturdy and will absorb any 'bending in the middle' hits the carton might take.

Comment

Bubble wrap, and then some egg crate mattress pads, then some carboard strips like MountainDog suggests.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've also had some plywood strips cut to match the inside depth (5-6") and length of the box and then slip them in to make the cardboard box much more rigid. Then poor in some peanuts and slide in the bubble wrapped guitar and fill all remaining space with more peanuts. Shake it a lot to get them to settle and overfill it a little as well. The plywood strips add quite a bit to the strength.

Comment

And take pictures of it before it goes into the box, then of the box all taped up. Make sure you insure it, then if they break it you have pictures to prove how well you packed it.

Comment

I always forget to mention this step but it is probably THE most important step. I've had to use them twice when items were damaged during shipping.

Comment

is it a bolt on? if so, take the neck off and bubble wrap the ever-living shit out of everything. if it's a set neck or a neck thru, i'd bubble wrap the ever-living shit out of the guitar (the little bubble wrap first, then wrap it with the big stuff, and follow the packing peanuts tips.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Go to your local guitar shop and ask if you can dig though the dumpster for a guitar box.

Or ask if they have any in the back that havent been thown away yet that dont smell like old spagehtti. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I've already got the box, and yes the guitar is a bolt-on. Will it really be necessary to take the neck off? I don't think the other guy's gonna appreciate that, can't I just loosen the strings and then bubblewrap the hell out of it?

Comment

If the guy is even a little bit handy he should have no problem putting the neck back on. Talk it over with him. IMO, taking the neck off is by far the best way to go if you have no case. Bubble wrap the body & neck, put the plate & screws in a ziploc & bubble wrap that, then secure everything so nothing bumps together using crumpled paper, foam, &/or packing peanuts. Superfly sent me a Model 7 like that & I commented in another thread that it probably would've survived being dropped off a building. Another advantage is that you can use a little smaller, more standard type of box, too.

Comment

don't forget the bridge (if it's removeable). if you tell the guy you don't have a case, and you want to pack it safely, i'm sure he'd understand. personally, i'd MUCH rather someone ship it in pieces if there's no case. but that's how i roll, yo.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If I were to do this, would I just take off the bolts, and simply remove the neck? (obviously remove the strings)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            If I were to do this, would I just take off the bolts, and simply remove the neck?

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Yep. It's very easy to do.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd just do what Jackson does. Wrap it in foam or bubble wrap, Put it in a guitar box, then put that box inside another box. Reinforce the ends so the neck wont get damaged.

Then I'd take it a step further and fill the 2nd box with peanuts.

And insure it and take pics [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bob

Comment

Working...
                              X