RR7R lifting frets! WTF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR7R lifting frets! WTF!

So about 8-10 months ago, I bought myself an RR7R. Guitar is DEAD MINT, DEAD STOCK. In other words, it was really taken care of before me. The stock DD pickups suck, so I never really played the guitar much... maybe an hour total since Ive owned her. I strung it up when I got it, but couldnt get the action very low, and the 7th string would buzz alot... never thought anything of it.

Fast forward tonight... the guitar has been hanging on the wall for months without being touched. Figured Id take it down, destring it, polish the frets because they were VERY dull. Hit an open high E, and it buzzed... WTF! So I do my thing to it, once I was done I looked closely, and all of the fret ends are lifting up! Looks to be about .5mm or less, but its happenning.

So, why is this happenning? The guitar has never been in a different climate since its always been in the North East, and has always been very well cared for. Is this just a manufacturing defect? Ive never seen this before on all the Jacksons Ive owned. Its almost like the frets werent bent enough to fit the radius of the neck and the glue couldnt hold it.

Damn, I really wish this was still under warranty... [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Re: RR7R lifting frets! WTF!

I don't really know why.

When I brought my Soloist Archtop Pro to the local tech for a fretjob two months ago he also had to glue EVERY fret back in, because they had all lifted.

Plays better then ever before now.
    But I bought this guitar used from the bay in 2004, so I don't know what she went through in the last ~15 years. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Does the wall it's been hangin on have a major appliance on the other side like a fridge or dryer? Something that generates heat?
      Does that wall go from cold to hot?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nope, acually just a wall that seperates two bedrooms, not even a heater vent anywhere near it. I would usually associate this problem with a guitar that has had alot of rapid climate changes, not one thats been inside all its life.

I found a local place that Ill probably take it to. Shouldnt run more than $100 to reglue them all. I just hope they are good because I dont want the fretboard damaged.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

That seems really strange that that would happen.

ps: can you post pics? i've never seen an RR7R

Comment

Here you go. This is the best picture of the frets I can get, if you look closely at the ones in focus, youll see them all lifting on the edge.

Comment

Working...
            X