Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my new jackson telemonster! Problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my new jackson telemonster! Problems...

A pic if anyone missed it.

Problem nr 1.
    It hums like a mofo. Everything is wired correctly(Dimarzio X2N), but it does not have a ground wire that goes from the volume pot to the spring-holding claw. Is this what is causing the dreadful hum?

Problem nr 2.
    The 5 way switch's route is too small for the switch to be properly switched. What is the best way too largen the route? Nail file?

Problem nr 3.
    The EMG pups that were included have this ugly ass black paint and lettering on them. Best way of removal?

The action is kinda high too, I'll have to shim the neck.
    Can't wait to get this babee all playable

Thanx a million
    Thoraby

Re: Got my new jackson telemonster! Problems...

Yes Yes and no don't remove the paint on the pups. All the action is a matter of balance between the bridge and the nut. The distance from nut to the string should be a cunt hair. At the bridge, about 3/16 or a little higher. All the "cheap-ass" guitars I have owned tend to get better from the bridge up. And, yes I have raised a nut or two. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

the nut is low enough, lower and it'll buzz. The bridge is flat against the body at the moment. The neck doesn't have enough angle for me to lower the action any more, so i'll have to shim it, right? I'll go fix the ground now, and the route. Thanx Fett. You da man!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Yes Yes and no don't remove the paint on the pups. All the action is a matter of balance between the bridge and the nut. The distance from nut to the string should be a cunt hair. At the bridge, about 3/16 or a little higher. All the "cheap-ass" guitars I have owned tend to get better from the bridge up. And, yes I have raised a nut or two. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol

Comment

Can you take a picture of the inside of the control cavity? Lets see that wiring and the switch problem up close.

Shim is the way to go. Is it a mutt? did it always have the floyd?
          It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

LOL! Don't listen to me! I've taken a router and angle cut the neck pocket. Sounds awesome though, because I don't have air space betewwn the neck and body or a shim in the way.

Comment

Thanx guys. I soldered a ground cable to the spring-claw, and the buzz is now significantly reduced. The 3 way switch's route I enlarged with a nail file and the previously fucked, now works properly. I'm too lazy to take the entire thing apart and shim the neck, but maybe later.

83SD: yup it's a mutt, but I have no idea about the body. It seems to be home-crafted. I don't even know what wood it's made of, it's heavy as sheit. Maybe plywood? Chesswood? I'll find out when i take the neck off.

Thanx again guys.
              /thor

Comment

Took the neck off, shimmed the neck. Then i realised I shimmed it too much so i took it off again and shimmed it slightly less. It has superb playability now with the lower action, but the trem-posts(screw in style) seem to have come loose. It stays in tune pretty nicely even if I whammy, so I ain't touching those for now.
                The body was solid btw. Alder or ash or something judging by the grain

Comment

hey thoraby, is the lettering written in paint marker? you may be able to take it off with nail polish remover. or you could just do a pickup swap.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

oh, and did you get the belt? that's a cool belt, fo sho.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

i think he painted the pups gold with a pen then cut out paper in the shape of the text. Then he probably sprayed or brushed on black paint, because the are around the text is covered in thick uneven black paint. I did not get the belt. In fact the seller ran the fuck away after i gave him the money. an odd feller indeed.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] nice!

try some nail polish remover and see if it helps.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                        X