Pickup height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup height

How high do you setup pickups? Or better yet, how far/close to the strings do you set them? I followed the recommendations in the manual but the neck was a lot quieter then the bridge so I ended up raising it quite a bit. Just looking to see what's 'normal'.

Re: Pickup height

As long as the magnets aren´t messing with the strings at the desired height it´s ok. I´m pretty certain you could compile an average, but it´s not really gonna do you much good since I believe "too close" varies from pickup to pickup.

Comment

In my Les Paul, the bridge pickup sounds a bit better when really close to the strings. And it's not just the output, the tone seems to change a bit too. And as Dave said, as long as the string vibration isn't interfered with the magnetic pull of the pickups, you should be fine. Experiment with different heighs and see where it sounds best.
      -Janne

Comment

i tend to set them as high as possible. sounds best to me

Comment

About 1/4 inch or less if it don't interfer. The pickup has to pick up the vibe like a figure 8. There is a ballance between the vibes the strings are sounding and the pickups ability to get it and produce the sound. If I had a nickle for every guitar that had the pups too low, I would be rich.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I've been playing with raising them higher and I think the tone is better but it might be killing my sustain. I need to lower them back down and compare. I have my neck one pretty high and I like how it sounds. They are both quite a bit lower then my emg equiped guitars though, which is what prompted the questions.

Comment

EMG tells you to get their pickups as close to the strings as you can without touching.
              A passive pickup can be very sensetive and height is important.Too close you will kill the sustain too far and you loose tone.
              Adjust the height screws to where the pickup sounds balanced.If two hums adjust to where the volume of each pickup is about the same.
              The trick is to get the pickup to "bloom"by this I mean when you pluck the string(clean channel)let the string vibrate.If the decay is quick adjust the pole piece up until the signal kind of "hangs" there,you will hear the signal bloom before the signal dies out.
              Do this on every string until you get it to where you like it.This technique works on almost any pickup.
              I hope that made sense I just woke up.Each guitar is different and takes a little tweaking to get right.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Please check this link. Note the part about too much magnetic field causing a wavaring sound from the strings. I've read many guides how to set pup height but, this is the only one that mentions this wavering sound adjustment technique. Worked for me.

http://www.dimarzio.com/media/diagra...02_install.pdf

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a read tonight. I've been doing the trial and error thing and I have the neck pickup sounding pretty good so it's on to tinkering with the bridge.

Comment

That is in essence the technique I use. Each guitar is so different thats what makes it so fun to work on them.
                    Its a great feeling when someone brings a guitar to me for a "tune up" and when they get it back they can't believe how good it sounds.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've never actually played with mine, I just put them to 3/4 of the way up and leave it.

Comment

Working...
                      X