Phase problem w/ a Duncan Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase problem w/ a Duncan Jazz

I have an issue that I never had and I can't rectify. I'm wiring a Duncan Jazz, JB, one volume pot and one gibby 3-way switch. The Jazz is the neck pickup and it always sounds out of phase. I've ran accross this before but only had to reverse the black and green wires but it doesn't help in this instance, same deal regardless. Any ideas or could this pickup be jacked???...its fairly new pickup.
    shawnlutz.com

Re: Phase problem w/ a Duncan Jazz

You mean it sounds weak? Did you try ohming it out?
    -Jon G

Comment

Could be a bum switch?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I have an issue that I never had and I can't rectify. I'm wiring a Duncan Jazz, JB, one volume pot and one gibby 3-way switch. The Jazz is the neck pickup and it always sounds out of phase. I've ran accross this before but only had to reverse the black and green wires but it doesn't help in this instance, same deal regardless. Any ideas or could this pickup be jacked???...its fairly new pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people on the Les Paul Forum try to get that "Peter Green" sound by flipping the magnet in the neck pickup. They don't have an option to reverse the leads like you do (two conductor lead).

You could try flipping the magnet, but I doubt it will chnage anything more than flipping the black and green leads.

You do understand that in order to get the out-of-phase sound, you need to be using both pickups, right? The Jazz cannot be out of phase with itself. It can be wired in parallel or series, but it sounds like you have it correctly in series.

I think it might just be the Jazz sounding like a Jazz.

Comment

Being a 4-conductor, you should be able to wire it so it is phased with itself (in or out) - I'd swap the red or white wires with the green or black and see what happens.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

thanks guys....

its not how a Jazz is supposed to sound [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have a couple of them in neck positions. I understand the way phase works but that is how it sounds by itself [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I've wired a ton of duncan's before and never had this type of problem

The red and white wires are soldered together and taped back. That is the only one I didn't try to swap around. I'll give that a shot and if it doesn't work I'll break out the sledge hammer put it outta its misery [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Looking at the coils from the top, you should be able to see the colored wires coming from the coils. Do their positions on the base match your other Jazzes?

Comment

Working...
              X