Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A quickie from liscensed to original floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quickie from liscensed to original floyd?

I have the opportunity to replace the liscensed floyd to a original version on one of my guitars.
    Need to know, I just intend or want to only, switch the floyd's and leave everything else alone or the same.
    In other words, leave/use the same (liscensed version) studs, claw and springs that are on the guitar?
    Just basically, remove the liscenesed version and throw in the original version floyd. Any mods need to be done, or will it work just fine without any mods?

Thanks.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Re: A quickie from liscensed to original floyd?

Without more details (like which Lic. Floyd you are going from? Which guitar? If it's a Schaller, why are you doing this?) I'd say just swap them and see what happens. What's the worst that could happen? It doesn't fit and you swap them back. No sweat.

Comment

I can get a decent deal on an original floyd and thought I'd switch it (original) with the liscensed floyd on my old beater. Its NOT a schaller floyd, its the "original" version. I don't have it (liscensed version) remove off my guitar yet and won't till I get the original.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

If it's a decent deal, buy it. If it doesn't fit, you can easily flip it here.

You misunderstood me - "if your current licensed floyd is a Schaller, it's a very good trem already, so why would you bother swapping" is what I was asking. But then again, you only live once, so why not try a real OFR?

Still, in order to help tell you if it will fit or not, someone here will need to know what type of current licensed floyd you have (some had wrong post spacing), what type of body you have (some bodies don't have a big enough recess for an OFR vs. a Schaller).

Read some of the stickies to try and identify your current license OFR (it could be a JT6, J580, J580LP, J590, Tak 590). I have a hard time telling the difference sometimes.

Comment

What was the licensed trem used on an early 90's BC Rich NJ Warlock? I've always wanted to swap that to a Schaller or OFR. The licensed trem seems like junk compared to other Floyds (licensed or not).

Comment

What model guitar/tem is it you're replacing? If it's an Ibanez trem, the post spacing is different from OFR spacing on some of their models, and the OFR won't work.

As long as the post spacing is the same, and there's enough room in the recess to allow the OFR screws, as well as the sides of the cavity allowing enough room for the baseplate, then you should be ok.

However, to answer your original question: Yes, you can use any posts, inserts, nut, springs, and claw with an OFR. It's better to also replace the posts when you replace the bridge, and replacing the posts may require replacing the inserts.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
            X