Pressing In Floyd Pivot Studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressing In Floyd Pivot Studs

Ok, I read on how to pull them, but how to you press them in for the first time? I have a Warmoth Soloist maple body (hard) that has been drilled for the inserts by Warmoth. The holes are right at .375". I can start the insert which measures at just shy of .380" O.D. and the O.D. on the max. O.D. is .390". I could use my monster automotive press, but that's over kill. Plus it's not really easily use when doing precise work such as this. Anybody have a good method?
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Re: Pressing In Floyd Pivot Studs

I used my drill press the last time & it worked great. It gives you the right angle & complete control the whole way down.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I used my drill press the last time & it worked great. It gives you the right angle & complete control the whole way down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same on mine and it worked really well.
      www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Looks like I need to get another (bigger) drill press. My bench top drill press does not have enough "throat" to get the body centered over the insert points.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I just tap them in with a rubber mallet. You just have to do it lightly until they get started and then you can whack them a little harder.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

+1
            Just get 'em going in straight (about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way in) with a rubber mallet and then give 'em a good whack until they are flush.
            -Rick

Comment

Get one of those Quick Grip clamps with the pump-action handle and the rubber feet. Stick one end through the trem cavity and center the other one on the insert and start pumping.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I was able to get mine in a project guitar with a 10" drill press. Worked great!

Comment

Working...
                X