cant get my dads Lester intonated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant get my dads Lester intonated

custom shop 59 les paul (and he also has a 60 with the same problem) in particular its the d-string........cant get the damn thing intonated........guitar came with 10's, thats what is currently on it, tried new strings also tried running it thru several different tuners with no joy

my fuggin $125 Jackson King V ebay special has less problems than his $4000 Les Pauls [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Re: cant get my dads Lester intonated

Try flipping the bridge
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thats what our next step was going to be.........turn the offending saddles around

wasnt sure if this was considered a "correct" fix or not though.......

Comment

Whatever works [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Check the nuts slots as well.

Are you intonating the guitar on a flat surface like a work bench and then checking the results while playing it?

The difference in positions (and resulting difference in finger pressure) has been known to affect the results.

Try a fresh and different brand of strings. Sometimes a different gauge will work out as well.

Good luck to you both!

Comment

heh, i can setup a floyd like a mutha, but when it comes to tune-a-matics i am in the dark

thanx for all the help [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Chlorine,

Was your dad able to finally intonate the guitar? If not, it may be time for professional help.

I just got back my new '05 LP Standard from Phil Jacoby at www.philtone.com. The complete setup process included the Plek treatment - do you know what the Plek machine is?

Anyway, my LP now plays better than any of my J/C guitars. I'm going to have to scrape up the $ to have the rest of my guitars Plek'd.
              "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

capo the first fret & use the harmonic at the 13th instead of the 12th. my custom SG had the same problem. it would intonate then sound terribly off, i re intonated using the capo method & it was fine. the only guitar i ever had to do that with. BTW i always set the intonation while holding the guitar in playing position seated.

Pete, if you dont mind how much was the plek'ing. ive heard that its amazing, is it really that much better than normal levelling. im assuming an 05 LP had very little fret wear if any?

Comment

j2379,

The Plek from Phil was $150. As the guitar was new, the Plek removed minimal fret metal, but I hear that's the case with most any guitar unless some of the frets are worn down so low that a refret would be necessary before a Plek treatment. My action is as low as possible with ZERO buzz and fretting-out when bending. This is the first time I've had a guitar Plek'd, and my LP is now the nicest playing guitar I've EVER touched! No kidding - it' THAT good! I know a lot of guys over in the Les Paul Forum swear by the Plek too. I'm so enamored with the Plek'ing of my LP that I'm going to have it done to the rest of my guitars. Phil said a 24-fret, neck-thru, Floyd'd guitar is no problem. I'll probably send him my first Jackson sometime next month. Generally, the brand-new Jacksons I've purchased have come setup from the factory pretty damn good - but a hand-setup simply cannot compare to a Plek setup. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! After I have my SL2H Plek'd next month, I'll post a review here. Later...
                  "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    do you know what the Plek machine is?

[/ QUOTE ]
                    i do now [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                    The Plek is a computerized tool that scans an instrument strung to pitch, generating graphic views of the fret plane, fret heights, fret shape and placement, fingerboard relief radius, humps and bumps -- basically everything you always wanted to see well but couldn’t. Within an extremely accurate map of the neck on the computer monitor, the operator creates a virtual fret dress incorporating any individual real world preferences, then the strings are moved aside and the Plek does that dress, applying complex relief calculations to the particular action and string gauges on that guitar, accurate to a resolution of .00005 in.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

well we got the 59 in, we will play with the 60 when we get some time

yup i heard of plek-ing.........thanx once again for the help [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Two of my fixed bridge guitars (tune-o-matic style) have some of the saddles flipped. It is fairly common. Good luck w/ it!

[ QUOTE ]
                        thats what our next step was going to be.........turn the offending saddles around

wasnt sure if this was considered a "correct" fix or not though.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          capo the first fret & use the harmonic at the 13th instead of the 12th. my custom SG had the same problem. it would intonate then sound terribly off, i re intonated using the capo method & it was fine. the only guitar i ever had to do that with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the nut was too high in relation to the first fret height. A high nut will give you sharp fretted notes up by the nut.

Do you still have this guitar and does it seem like the nut is high?

Comment

nope sold it, i dont think the nut was too high the action was really low at the first. it was really only the D & B IIRC that really needed to be done this way.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              j2379,

The Plek from Phil was $150. As the guitar was new, the Plek removed minimal fret metal, but I hear that's the case with most any guitar unless some of the frets are worn down so low that a refret would be necessary before a Plek treatment. My action is as low as possible with ZERO buzz and fretting-out when bending. This is the first time I've had a guitar Plek'd, and my LP is now the nicest playing guitar I've EVER touched! No kidding - it' THAT good! I know a lot of guys over in the Les Paul Forum swear by the Plek too. I'm so enamored with the Plek'ing of my LP that I'm going to have it done to the rest of my guitars. Phil said a 24-fret, neck-thru, Floyd'd guitar is no problem. I'll probably send him my first Jackson sometime next month. Generally, the brand-new Jacksons I've purchased have come setup from the factory pretty damn good - but a hand-setup simply cannot compare to a Plek setup. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! After I have my SL2H Plek'd next month, I'll post a review here. Later...

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the Plek !! It is an amazing machine. It actually checks your fret levels while the neck is strung up and tuned to pitch. My one guitar with Plek had dead spots on the neck that I could not get fixed. After a Plaek the thing has low action and no dead spots !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X