Spray Can on guitar body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray Can on guitar body?

Im looking to paint one of my project guitars white. I dont wanna spend too much so I thought spray can would be a step in the right direction. How would the body look if I got some high gloss white, hit it with a bunch of coats then buff the clear? I'm trying to keep the cost low becuase they body is pretty much plywood but i dont want it to look to bad either...

Any help would be appreciated

Re: Spray Can on guitar body?

The King of Krylon is a member here. I sure he can help.
    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Someone call me? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

There've been a couple of posts in here about painting with Krylon.
      Someone (I forget who) said they used just a can of high gloss white - no exta clearcoat, just the gloss white - and it shined up pretty good.

I bought that book from ebay last year of how to paint a guitar with krylon, and am in the middle of painting one, but I started too late last year and had to stop when the Summer rolled in (85-110 degrees) because it was too hot for the paint.
      Maybe I can finish it up this Spring between the rain storms [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I would definitely recommend you find an enclosed, well-ventilated workspace. I was painting outside with the wind blowing, and got a lot of runs and bubbles in the paint that I have to sand out.

And I've still got 2 coats of paint to put on, THEN the clearcoat.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've done SEVERAL Krylon paintjobs and all of them look top notch. I'm a newbie here, so I'm not sure how to post my pics yet, but here's a link that shows my latest project guitar. And yes ... this was all done with Krylon spraypaint. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

http://classicvanhalen.com/forums/in...showtopic=4301

Comment

thats a pretty impressive portfolio
          “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

I have the 3-can spray paint treatment I am going to try. But I will have to wait for Spring. The only thing that I can think about the down- side of canned spray paint is how many coats you have to apply. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Me, I'll just do it till it's all gone. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Beautiful refins Model... I can now throw away all of my nitro!!! How long did you have to wait for the finish to harden before you sand and buffed?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Beautiful refins Model... I can now throw away all of my nitro!!! How long did you have to wait for the finish to harden before you sand and buffed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!
                Don't throw away that nitro just yet though.
                The downside to Krylon is that it takes up to 8-weeks to cure before wetsanding and buffing. As a result, I've recently purchased an air compressor and a few sprayguns. I'll be shooting urethanes though. It doesn't have the tendency to crack and yellow over time like nitro. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow - 2 months before you can play. That's a lot of will power. I like nitro cause I can wet sand after a week, and as long as I don't abuse it or gig with it, it will reach playable hardness in about a month, at which time, I'll re-buff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Wow - 2 months before you can play. That's a lot of will power. I like nitro cause I can wet sand after a week, and as long as I don't abuse it or gig with it, it will reach playable hardness in about a month, at which time, I'll re-buff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep ... 8-weeks is a long time. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                    But some of the advantages are that you don't have to spend a whole lot of money on air compressor gear and expensive paints, and clean up is a WHOLE lot easier. Just throw the can in the trash and yer done! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

This finish was done with Rust-Oleum Blue metal flake and clear coated with Min-Wax Polyurathane.
                      Both from a spray can.
                      The Rust-Oleum has a setup time of only 3 days if it's above 70 degrees.
                      The clear coat is a different story... that will take a few weeks to cure before I can do a final buff and polish.
                      Fortunately my father-in-law has a paint booth that will cook the finish in a few days instead of a few weeks.
                      -Rick

Comment

Here is my spray can camo paint job...oh and some white out and a black marker for the details!!

www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          This finish was done with Rust-Oleum Blue metal flake and clear coated with Min-Wax Polyurathane.
                          Both from a spray can.
                          The Rust-Oleum has a setup time of only 3 days if it's above 70 degrees.
                          The clear coat is a different story... that will take a few weeks to cure before I can do a final buff and polish.
                          Fortunately my father-in-law has a paint booth that will cook the finish in a few days instead of a few weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome job bro!
                          I wouldn't necessarily encourage the mix-matching of paints though. The results could be, uh ... less than desirable.
                          IMO, you were very fortunate. That looks beautiful! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

True, I typicaly wouldn't mix them either.
                            Min-Wax happens to be the only company right now that has a high gloss clear poly in a spray can. The other clear coats in a can are primarily acrylic, which I think tend to crack/scratch easier.
                            But yea... they appear to be chemicaly compatible, so I got lucky on that one. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                            -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Min-Wax happens to be the only company right now that has a high gloss clear poly in a spray can. The other clear coats in a can are primarily acrylic, which I think tend to crack/scratch easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "spray can" polys are no exception. They will scratch every bit as easy as any acrylic or nitro. True catalyzed poly isn't available in a spray can because it doesn't "air dry", it hardens by chemical action. Any paint that "air dries" (solvent evaporation) is much less durable than a catalyzed paint. Period.
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X